Ranger 8.8 to 31 spline HELP!

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
City, State
Windham, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 250k miles
Hey guy's I've got a problem here...

I have a 1992 Ranger 4.0 4x4 that has a failing 7.5" rear.

I got a Lockright from a fullsize bronco (8.8 31 spline axles) for free from my mother.

I also got a 8.8 from a 2002 Ranger 4.0 (3.73's open) and a 1999 Explorer 8.8 (3.73's and t-lok).

I don't have the ability to weld new stuff to the Explorer rear end....

Is there ANY possibility to use the Explorer 31 spline guts and brakes on the Ranger 8.8 so I can bolt this rear end in and be able to go to work?

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if the ranger and explorer 8.8 axles are the same lenghts it will all swap over, however the lockrite wont work with the trac-lock carrier, you might be able to use the open carrier out of the ranger for the trac-lock since the splines are in the side gears, then all you really have to do is swap the axles and brakes and install the lock right. Just remember that the ring gear needs to stay with the pinion gear that is already with it, even if the ratios are the same they come as a match set

That's what I was hoping to hear. BUT I thought the axles and axle bearings were different?

I just looked up the part # and the ranger and explorers use the same wheel bearings

Hmmm. I could of sworn the 31 spline axles had larger wheel bearings than the 28's.

Hopefully this works out!

Thanks man!

The outer bearings are different between the 28 and 31 spline axles. The axle lengths are different, too.

IIRC, the carrier and pinion bearings are the same, but don't quote me.

Find a mobile welder, get spring perches and shock mounts, and replace your 28 spline axle with the larger one.

Back