• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ranger Beams

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I know most of us have been curious as to whether ranger DJM drop beams would work or not, Well I found this post. I didnt want to use the chassis tech stuff, Ive always heard bad things.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3005507/1993-ford-explorer/page-3/

This guy is doing the same thing I am, lowered ex with a 302 swap. Everything looks good to me, so im gonna pull the trigger in the next 2 weeks on the drop beams with 95-97 ranger knuckles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
why was you wondering if they would work on a ranger, hundreds have used them...I just did my WHOLE front end.I also used 95-97 spindles but used 12" rotors instead of the stock 10"

20130615_095504_zps99182c21.jpg

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Ive read a lot people saying they wouldnt work, but I had a 93 ranger and I have a 93 explorer, and I couldnt see why they wouldnt, I just needed to see before I spent the money. I really want to get the belltechs but cant justify a the extra 300 for them.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Ive read a lot people saying they wouldnt work, but I had a 93 ranger and I have a 93 explorer, and I couldnt see why they wouldnt, I just needed to see before I spent the money. I really want to get the belltechs but cant justify a the extra 300 for them.
Wait are you asking if 93 ranger djm beams fit an explorer?? Because from what iI've seen they won't.the ranger 2wd beams are different from an explorers beams.I even called djm about it and they said they wouldn't fit..

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
If that link you posted is an explorer with djm beams then maybe they used ranger crossmembers and mounts..the ranger crossbeams sit higher up, giving more clearance if your dropped..why they would fit..

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Thats an explorer frame with DJM beams, Ill have to stop over at my friends with a 3rd gen ranger and take some measurements and take measurements of my ex.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Thats an explorer frame with DJM beams, Ill have to stop over at my friends with a 3rd gen ranger and take some measurements and take measurements of my ex.
Well I can tell you 99.9% that a 2wd ranger is different from a 2wd explorer..the engine crossmember and ra crossmember is different. They use different RA arms and pivot arms..but you can mount the ranger parts into the explorer, it will give you extra clearance also.but ranger parts are welded in.as far as I know djm doesn't make anything for the explorer.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
But I have been wrong..more than once:crazy: sure someone else will chime in.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger

fordkid88

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I think they are sold, but I was more along the lines of pictures of them being installed. I wish I had the money a year ago when they were offered to me.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
I think they are sold, but I was more along the lines of pictures of them being installed. I wish I had the money a year ago when they were offered to me.
I would send him a message, wasn't but a month or so ago we was talking about them...;)

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Fyi those are not djm beams if that's what you was saying as far as pics of ""them"being mounted

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
fordkid88 said:
I would send him a message, wasn't but a month or so ago we was talking about them...;)
I do still have them here and I replied to the PM.

The explorer they came from is still there so if we think there might be anything special about how it was mounted I can take pics.

I've only bought a few parts off of it (backing plates, 1 axle shaft) and most of the rest of it is still there (only some engine parts have been sold IIRC).

I have been told these aren't JDM BUT if they aren't they modeled them after the JDM ones..

~Mark

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
I do still have them here and I replied to the PM.

The explorer they came from is still there so if we think there might be anything special about how it was mounted I can take pics.

I've only bought a few parts off of it (backing plates, 1 axle shaft) and most of the rest of it is still there (only some engine parts have been sold IIRC).

I have been told these aren't JDM BUT if they aren't they modeled them after the JDM ones..

~Mark
Thought you might still have them;) to me they look like belltech, I know they do look different and djm told me they never made them for explorers and they wouldn't fit.only reason I didn't jump all over them.

You can see the slight differences when you compare them to djm.biggest is the knuckle
5753264260_8a966e5f91_z_zps3ad19ff1.jpg

20130614_185046_zpsac862e4b.jpg

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
jd4242 said:
<snip>to me they look like belltech,
Who the hell is belltech? :) As you can see, I know next to nothing about lowering vehicles.. I just lift 'em..

jd4242 said:
I know they do look different and djm told me they never made them for explorers and they wouldn't fit.only reason I didn't jump all over them.
Ahh, I see the difference now.. (at the knuckle). I was focused more on the arm design/shape.

~Mark

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Who the hell is belltech? :) As you can see, I know next to nothing about lowering vehicles.. I just lift 'em..

Ahh, I see the difference now.. (at the knuckle). I was focused more on the arm design/shape.

~Mark
Hahaha I hear you..they are another company that makes lowering parts, I'm running their sway bars;)still very good company and arms:salute:

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I saw that thread and the beams I have here don't look like the ones I saw in the links on that page.. (google image search isn't helping either)

If I didn't take these beams off an explorer (and still have it at the neighbors) I'd be saying they were Ranger beams from looking at all the different threads.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
I saw that thread and the beams I have here don't look like the ones I saw in the links on that page.. (google image search isn't helping either)

If I didn't take these beams off an explorer (and still have it at the neighbors) I'd be saying they were Ranger beams from looking at all the different threads.

~Mark
Yea I would say the same.I know they use to all look like djm but aim has changed to a more square looking design as you can see.belltech doesn't list explores but pretty damn sure they use to make them and they looked just like djm..awww who knows, know they fit an explore tho;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L useing ranger i-beams on the explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
B ford ranger i-beams on an explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
B Bagged ranger Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
R Looking to convert 2000 Ranger Trailhead from T-bar to Coilover Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
Rick '85 - '05 Ranger Bolt-On 4-Link Cantilever Suspension Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
E Ranger delays going into gear Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
1 Airbagit.com kits??? Should i bag my explorer or my ranger? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
F Ranger Drop Arms on a 2ndgen Ex? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
9 98-03 Ranger drop kits Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
R Ranger Sway Bars Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
R bagged 90 ranger help Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
C new here-my bagged 86 ranger Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 33
C 1990 Ford Ranger with a driveshaft problem. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 12
R Drop on explorer/ranger? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
S x with ranger front end Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 6
R Help a brother out, 01 Ranger Edge, Can it be lowered? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
R bagging my ranger Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
0 Lowering '07 Ranger Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
9 lowering a 1996 ext. cab ranger Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
J 2k3 Ranger 4x4 drop Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
S 2 Wheel Drive Ranger Front Suspension Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 18
P Ranger front suspension Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7
J drop beams Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
R 91 explorer drop beams Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
S Lower Ball joints in Chassis Tech Drop I-beams.. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
L lowering i beams Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 9
M i beams Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 13