Ranger Edge

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Hey what do you guys think of the 2001 Ranger edge with the 4.0L sohc and the offroad package and that sweet grille! I love it and i think its a MAJOR power improvement from the 4 cylinder. Has anyone driven it? hows the ride? i just looked in it, and its fine for a coupla people, but the back is kinda small to seat people unless your going on short trips. overall i think that is one sweet car!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love the look. Looks really agressive.

Haven't driven one, But they sure do turn heads.

i saw a yellow one in so-cal....it was sweet

yeah, i havent driven one, but they look really nice.

ya it looks real sweet! only if they did something like that to the X. I like the look of that black grille and those big huge tires on the offroad package. i was on a limited budget when i bought my car, and am now considering buying a 1996 v-8 AWD explorer. I want to make mine like troll's. how'd he get 2wd out of a v-8? did he do a axle swap?

the edge is a pretty good driver. the gas mileage sucks b/c of the 4.10 ratio. i have an xlt that has everything the edge has. it drives like an explorer,

I really like the new Edge. I drove a 4.0 w/auto and I wasn't impressed with the auto. It searched way too much for a new tranny. The other thing I did'nt like was the fact you can't get it with a manual tranny or x-case or hubs. In my opinion if Ford is going to offer a "Off-road" package they need to provide those items, not just a sticker and skid plates.

I love the new Edges. I almost bought one instead of my 98 EB (the V8 and luxury won...). They drive similar to Explorers but the suspension is tighter. They really move with the SOHC compared to the old OHV. I like the looks from all angles except head on. If you look at it straight from the front the tires look way undersized for some reason. Other than that I think they look great. The only thing bad I've heard is that they sometimes have a hard time getting the 15/19 milegae that they advertise...

My friend has a black one. It looks sweet. However he says the gas milage sucks right now, and since it has a factory lift, it'd be expensive to do a suspension lift to it. It does great off-road with the SOHC, 4.10's and LS. Just needs some bigger tires.

Well I have a 3 liter 2wd Edge and wish I could have found the 4 liter instead. I don't need 4wd, that's what my Explorer is for. What I do like about it is, it is as high as the 4wd's and I too like the front power hood and front grill. I have to go over a mountian every day to go to work and think that the 3.ol needs a little help getting over it. A 4.ol wouldn't shift as much going over, or at least my explorer didn't(when it was stock). Oh and the stereo is decent too, for a stock machine.

why did ford make 4 cylinder rangers? oh man are those a little underpowered!

And those 4 cylinder Bronco IIs!! The 6 in mine is borderline underpowered...but a 4?? Oh an how can they put a 4 cylinder in a Mustang?????? That's just sinful!

lol thats bad, anyways that v-6 160 hp is pretty quick with my borla and k&N. i floored it the other day and its not bad. imagine when i get my chip. i actually peeled out around the corner in my neighborhood. i was trying to let off steam

Mine is great, I love just about everthing about. the 4.0 Sohc team with 4:10 and a 5 speed stick is one dam quick truck. and A good exhust system will open up the engine a little more. The handling and smoothenes of this truck is unbelivable. If you did not see what you got into and where sittingin the passanger side seat you would nver guess that you where in a compact truck.
Oh yea a 3inch supension lift costs about 1500 not including labor. for these trucks

EdgeRanger, did you order you truck? I was looking at the Edge earlier this year and they told me Ford was not making 5-speeds anymore.

No did not half to order it, I did half to travel a 100 miles to find it in a stick. I had dealers telling me that they did not make the sohc with a stick, but I found a dealer in San Diego that had about 10 sohc sticks on the lot.

www.mossyford.com

Interesting,my dad lives on Coronado Island and one weekend I was down there we bounced around looking at trucks and Mossy told me no sticks, oh well. Is it a manual x-case too? That would be to cool.

Originally posted by RON COX
Interesting,my dad lives on Coronado Island and one weekend I was down there we bounced around looking at trucks and Mossy told me no sticks, oh well. Is it a manual x-case too? That would be to cool.

Now thats weird. No its not a manual X-case, rumor is that is do out for 2002 called the fx4 package

Check out this thread from RF
Dead Link Removed

I read a thread on RRORC board earlier this year about the offroad package. Thanks for the update, I havn't seen any data since then. Can't wait!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my 2001 Ranger XLT 4X4 for a month now and wow this is a cool truck the gas milage is not very good in the city with my 4.10s but out on the road wow lots of power and it will stay in over drive and the milage is fine. It still has not seen a dirt road but this weekend it will, after CCR it will no longer be a VIRGIN LOL

Back