• Register Today It's free!

Ranger lift kit on Explorer?

Reaction score
City, State
Liberty, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 4WD
Hey,

I have a question regarding a lift kit. I used to own a '98 SOHC automatic 2WD ranger, had a lift kit for it but I moved on before i could install it. Now I have a '97 Explorer sport OHV 4x4 with the M5OD manual, and the lift kit is still in my basement- is there any chance that the chassis of these two are similar enough for the lift kit to work on the explorer? It's just a body lift, not suspension. I know it probably won't fit, but it's worth finding out before I sell the kit. I don't see anywhere on the kit that states it's specifically for a '98 ranger 2wd, i just know it fits on that truck. Anybody know if it would work on the ole exploder?

https://ibb.co/hSOedw
Here is a pic of the kit. Brand is Performance Accessories

Yes it will work on the explorer with some modifications. You'll have to fab rear bumper brackets and rearrange the body mount bolts plus maybe buy some to make it work. The ranger uses different length body bolts. Also you might have to fab up a shifter extension.

Yes it will work on the explorer with some modifications. You'll have to fab rear bumper brackets and rearrange the body mount bolts plus maybe buy some to make it work. The ranger uses different length body bolts. Also you might have to fab up a shifter extension.

Nice to know, I used to weld at a fab shop so I can have stuff like that made for free over there. How laughable would my stock tires look with a 3" lift before I could get new ones? If the answer is very then I might have to wait til I can buy a bigger set.

Back