Ranger main leaf spring mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger main leaf spring mod

J91FORD

Reaction score
Im ready to do the ranger leaf mod and i was wondering if you gain any hight by doing this? Im getting new coil springs b/c the ones from superlift are starting to sag plus im bolting on a 9,000lb winch. any recommendations on the lenght of the springs or the weight rating of coils?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out SKYJACKER. They have 6" springs that are a higher (thats what I heared)rate than S/L.

This mod can give you a little more height but in all reality it probably will just make your truck stay level. I was talking with a guy who has done lots and lots and lots of SOA on jeeps and he was saying you ALWAYS want to do exactly what this mod is. You want to have to main leafs just to keep the springs from sagging. Otherwise your main leaf will not be able to hold up to the abuse and start to sag. The way you can gain lots of height doing a mod like this would be to just start stacking the leafs from the Explorer and the Ranger together and see how high you want to go. You can get a pretty tall setup doing that.

J91, have you considered the OME springs as an alternative? I know that I'm starting to sound like a salesman, but jwres has a pair waiting in your area at OK 4x4. Anyway, its just an idea. I don't know if the 2" change in height over stock springs would be right for you or not.

You have a spring-over setup, right? I think that Rick is going to use the OME springs with his spring over to help match the height of his new front axle.

Im not really looking for hight as i am wheel travel

could I get longer coil springs (6.5"-7") with the 5.5" drop brackets would that keep my truck at the same hight

BTW Tom, My truck is spring over

Back