Ranger SAS off road test, 2wd style | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger SAS off road test, 2wd style

I don't have matching gears for the rear yet so I had to work it with the 2wd, did allright I guess.
254092_141_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

254092_144_full.jpg

254092_145_full.jpg

254092_146_full.jpg

So what springs are you running in the rear? I cant get any flex out of my ranger rear, super lift springs.

I don't think it makes any difference but they are from an 85 Bronco II with the stock Ranger block and an overload leaf, so basically they are stock springs.

Chad, where'd you go to shoot those pictures, Corral Canyon?

Yeah Corral Canyon, its only about 40 minutes from my house.

corral canyon. Where I rolled my truck the first time :) Looks good when you get the gears matched up we need to get a run together out there. Where in san diego are you 40 min from there must mean east county somewhere.

Matt

Not east county, Miramar, may be a little more than 40 minutes. I don't think I am going to get the gears real soon. Plus I am moving to Wyoming at the end of July so I think a run would be out of the question. Moab will be a little closer though, I still haven't been initiated to Moab.

It looks like the rear is really flexible, but the front looks a little stiff.

In the rear, that one pic has your rear tire off the ground. Is it the e-brake cables or the shocks holding you up?

Looks great!

Yes, the front is very stiff, I am figuring out a new setup, but I'm unsure of what to use right now. Both my front and my rear shocks are too short, the shock is holding the rear tire up. Thats OK, I got the biggest step done, now I just have to fine tune it right?

Yep, its all tuning now.

it looks like it will and is capable. What thoughts are you running through your head to make the front move a little more?

What did you use for radius arms?

I think I've pretty much got it figured out what I'm gonna do. First I will make a wristed arm with the stock radius arms, change the bushing end on the radius arms to a rod end, and I think I've decide to go with Jeep Cherokee lifted springs. And I've seen the adjustable spring mount for the jeeps, I'm not sure who makes it but I'm gonna somehow work that into the system.

Sounds like you are on your way.

I was curious. I have been wondering what I am going to do with my front end. I figured I would remove those bushings also and put on heim joints on the ends. Make the arms almost a foot longer too.

As for the springs, I have no suggestions. I do not know what would do what. I was considering just buying coil overs.

Coilovers would be nice but my monthly paycheck aint big enough for stuff like that. I say Cherokee springs cuz I can get my hands on a set for a pretty decent price and they work pretty good(soft).

I am sure my wife will freak if I pick up a set of coil overs, but it might be worth it.

I have a friend who just took off a set of coils, maybe I should inquire about them.

Who here has been to Corral Canyon and would like to make a group run of it?
I'v been up there a few times and I always try this one trail that keeps kicking my ass...
Any ways I'd love to see some guys that actually know what the hell their doing so I can learn.
-James
P.S. sorry for changing the subject...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats OK, sounds like a great idea but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to come, I am moving out of the area and am a little sad about it, but life goes on. I would love to make a group run out there, I usually go with one other guy in a two wheel drive so I don't really get to test out all the trails that I would like to, and now I guess I never will. Good luck and have fun, its a great place to play around.

Back