ranger SOA on X

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I have searched for awhile, but could not find a answer.
I see most people just weld perches for a SOA on their stock X axles. Can you use a rear axle from a ranger that already has the spring perches mounted for a SOA on a first gen X? I read somewhere that the ranger driveshaft can be used, slightly longer than X.
Will the perches already be setup for the correct pinion angle, or will they need to be rewelded anyway?
Does any ranger have rear disks? That way the SOA and rear disk conversion could be accomplished in one step.

I'm not sure of all the differences in axle's from year to year. Is there any prob with spline count, or are the axel shafts and diff interchangable also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thought the axle lengths were different.

Originally posted by SSIKORA
i thought the axle lengths were different.

Didn't know that, I thought they were built on the same platform, just had different bodies.

I knew about the splines, but they are both 8.8. so I assumed they had interchangable parts.

I guess thats what happens when u assume,
ASS - U - ME

I don't know for a fact, but I would think the 2001 and newer 4.0L Ranger's 8.8 axles would be pretty close to the same as the Explorers with the exception of the spring perches and brakes.
And probably only the perches are different between my Sport Trac and the Ranger. :D

I'll see if I can find some specs.

hey lonestar,
I have this very same axle swap in my 93 sport and everything is the same except the e-brake cables. You will probably have to reuse stock ones and relocate rear e-brake mounting bracket. The one that is located in front of the left rear tire. I had to drop it down about 3 inches. The axle is the same if you use an axle with the same spline count ie.28, 31. I used one out of a 2002 fx4 with limited slip. you dont want one with 28 splines for off road that is why I got a newer one. I also have 5.5 front lift and directly mounted my stock springs to the new axle. You will have to weld on new lower shock mounts ie. two bolts on the housing. if you want I can try to e-mail you pics.

hey lonestar,
I have this very same axle swap in my 93 sport and everything is the same except the e-brake cables. You will probably have to reuse stock ones and relocate rear e-brake mounting bracket. The one that is located in front of the left rear tire. I had to drop it down about 3 inches. The axle is the same if you use an axle with the same spline count ie.28, 31. I used one out of a 2002 fx4 with limited slip. you dont want one with 28 splines for off road that is why I got a newer one. I also have 5.5 front lift and directly mounted my stock springs to the new axle. You will have to weld on new lower shock mounts ie. two bolts on the housing. if you want I can try to e-mail you pics.

I checked on Ford's Fleet website for the specifications.
Dead Link Removed

I'm confused now, since I believe Hvac man is saying that he got a 31 spline 8.8 from a 2002 Ranger FX4, and the Ford website only lists the Rangers as having 28 spline 8.8's.

I think I'll just be welding spring perches on my axle when I get around to that project.

That site has lots of tech stuff. I couldn't find the axle length though (each shaft or wheel to wheel). 28 is all I saw too.

Hvac, how did you find a 31 spline, and where did you find a axle from a 2002?
Was it a bolt in? (spring perches give correct pinion angle, no welding)
Simply bolt in and extend brake lines?
How much did you pick up the axle for? Could be a cheap way to get a Torsen LS.

Thanks..

well the reason you both only saw 28 splines is because they only list the base axle, which is a 7.5 if you read closer will notice the ring gear size. I got mine from my buddy that is heavy line mech at ford dealer. You can find one at a junk yard but make sure it is out fo a 4.0 4X4 so it is an 8.8. The instal is very simple and if your lucky you might find one with 4.10 gears. just install with factory u bolts and bracket but flip the whole thing. I cant tell you what to use but this was cheap and easy for me. Total cost was free but you can get for probably 200 or less, thats cheap for 4.10,limited slip, and drive way install. any more questions? glad to help.

one other thing the wheel mount to wheel mount is exactly the same.

The easiest thing to do is spend a couple bucks on new perches and call it a day.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
The easiest thing to do is spend a couple bucks on new perches and call it a day.

If you can weld, and know how to set pinion angle.

This seems like a simple bolt on, and a possible chance to get a Torsen. Just ask how much for a ranger rear-end. People at a junkyard won't know the difference.

if that is the case then compare the price of the ranger rear end to that of the Superlift SOA kit.

All ranger axles have 28 spline shafts but im 99% sure that the FX4 level II has 31 spline axle shafts. I'm pretty sure they mentioned that in the issue of Peterson's where they tested the ranger.

which ever way you go don't waste your money on the super lift soa kit. If you buy the spring perches they are about $20 and for $50 you can get the ones from www.mountainoffroad.com that are longer and reduce axle wrap. What do you plan on doing with this x, mostly hwy, mud, or rock.

I am with everyone on the perch idea. I got some warriors for 20 bucks. Do a search on SOA to see how to set pinion angle and weld. Pinion angle can be set with a tape measure and 2 straight edges. As far as the ranger axle, The older ones (to 97 I believe) had the springs mounted on the outside of the frame and most likely had a different width between the springs and a different pinion angle due to the different arch on the springs because the upper mounts were alot higher than an ex's. Hope I helped (kinda wordy)

hvac, did you have any problems with overall length? I read on rangerstation that ranger axles are 1.5" shorter than X axles.

Also do you think ranger springs could be used on a X? I think they are flatter (less arch) and you could get a SOA with less lift. I would like to relocate my springs and shock mounts to the top, but I really don't want a 5" lift.

Back