ranger turns over but wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ranger turns over but wont start

01Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Hi went for a drive today for about a half an hour. i stopped and turned off truck for not longer than 5 mins. when i returned i was able to start engine, but it ran rough then cut out. i repeatedly tried to start it but nothing. it cranks but doesn't fully start. i banged on fuel tank, and same thing crank and sputter then die. any ideas. i was thinking fuel pump, but could vapor lock be the culprit. I have a 2001 ford ranger 4x4 5 speed with 145000 miles on her.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same problem

I have the same problem. The truck currently won't start. It has done this in the past, but then started after awhile.

What was the problem with your truck?

thanks,

Cody

Hi went for a drive today for about a half an hour. i stopped and turned off truck for not longer than 5 mins. when i returned i was able to start engine, but it ran rough then cut out. i repeatedly tried to start it but nothing. it cranks but doesn't fully start. i banged on fuel tank, and same thing crank and sputter then die. any ideas. i was thinking fuel pump, but could vapor lock be the culprit. I have a 2001 ford ranger 4x4 5 speed with 145000 miles on her.
I have the same problem. The truck currently won't start. It has done this in the past, but then started after awhile.

What was the problem with your truck?

thanks,

Cody

My Explorer did the same thing...

After driving for about 20-30 mins... I pulled up to the garage and turned it off...Came back in 15 mins to move it and the truck would not start...I have fuel pressure as verified by the fuel pressure gauge I have installed in the truck...Have great compression as the engine ran 15 mins before...

But I did not have spark nor could I hear the injectors clicking...I did eventually pull the connector on the crankshaft position sensor and reconnect it...

Got out from under the truck and she roared to life like nothing ever happened...I changed that sensor the next day...

Hey all, my issue ended up being the fuel pump. 600 dollars later she was fixed. got 160,000 on her now and still runs like a champ. Made 14 trips up to the sierras over the winter and never an issue. I'm hell bent to get another 160,000 miles before i let her quit.

Back