Ranger Vehicle Speed Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger Vehicle Speed Sensor

Trolling

Reaction score
City, State
kah-lee-fur-nyah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Guys, I need the part number of the speed sensor pictured here (the one mounted on the bracket on top of the tone ring) that produces a type of signal similar to that of the ford oem one that does not need conversion (via the ABS/ECU) to be used for a digital speedometer.

IMG_1502.jpg

I got the picture from the desert rangers forum but could not find any more information about the specifics of their VSS. All i know is that it is a hall effect sensor that works with a tone ring.

I need another VSS for another device. It should be separate from the original one on the transfer case that is being utilized by the whole electrics of the vehicle. It tried to tap onto the vss signal wire but it messed up the signal and killed my cruise control and speedometer. Hooking up the device also triggered the transmission to go into a "safe mode" aka as blinking O/D light.

I talked to the manufacturer (Nordskog) of the said device and the only solution they told me was to get another vss to feed a separate signal to their device or buy one of their expensive GPS signal units.

Any information about the sensor would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
-Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what about a rear speed sensor from a 5.0 Explorer located in the rear differential ??,

getimage.php

looks the same , and i believe they are hall effect as well,

what about a rear speed sensor from a 5.0 Explorer located in the rear differential ??,

getimage.php

looks the same , and i believe they are hall effect as well,

The sensor I need looks different.
abs_speedsensor_removal.JPG

speedsensor.jpg

I tried using the one on our rear differential and it doesn't give the same pulse/signal as a vss.

bump!

..A couple questions..:scratch:

..What are your intentions for this added on vss?

..and I take it that picture is of a home made tone ring with an added on vss?

..You might try contacting one of our vendors Kbabiak (found at the bottom of the Forums page)..He should be able to find a used one for you ..;)

..A couple questions..:scratch:

..What are your intentions for this added on vss?

See post #1:

.. to be used for a digital speedometer.

..and I take it that picture is of a home made tone ring with an added on vss?

Yes.

..You might try contacting one of our vendors Kbabiak (found at the bottom of the Forums page)..He should be able to find a used one for you ..;)

That would be nice, but I don't want to trouble him if I wont be buying the part from the guy.

I need another VSS for another device.

..:scratch:..after reading that you needed one for the digital speedometer, this sentence is why I inquired about your intentions.

..Good luck with your search..:D

-Ford has the hall effect for many different vehicles in their line. the ones i can tell you of that look similar, other than the ones already stated about the rear antilock sensor are....

'95-'03 7.3 diesel camshaft sensors, but they have 3 wires

alot other Ford gas/diesel engines have either cam/crank sensors or both
the one in ur pic looks like the old style rear abs sensor before they started
doing them up in plastic......

..:scratch:..after reading that you needed one for the digital speedometer, this sentence is why I inquired about your intentions.

..Good luck with your search..:D

um, yeaaah... ;)

..This guy may be able to help...Check post #323 of this thread..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160724&page=17

i was going through Izwack's thread the other day since I remembered seeing something similar to what i needed in terms of the sensor.

I'm still going through more info from the web but I'll eventually test a few ranger specific vss that are available from the local parts store.

Back