Rangers w/4.0L

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
Was browsing through some Rangers and noticed that allot of the 4x4 had the 4.0L engine. The XLT's had the 3.0L engine. Now here is the question,

Do any Ranger XLT's come with the 4.0L engine and are NOT a 4x4? Anyone know for sure? And the Edge models are excluded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey , if you give me a day or so i can find out for u!! what happend to your Rig?/ i heard something happend!

I had a 98 4x4 XLT with the 4.0. I do not know about 2WD. Have you check on "therangerstation.com"?

For the past several years the only way to get a 4.0 SOHC in a 4x2 Ranger was to get a Supercab. 3.0 is standard in all Edges and XLT 4x2 Supercabs. All 4x4 Supercabs lately get a 4.0 SOHC.

Thought I would ask here first. Is it the same 4.0 that we have in our Explorers? If so, that would make one hell of an engine in that light of a truck. I have seen them in allot 4x4's and a few Ranger Edges, but wondered about the XLT models.

Thanks fenderguy, so they do exists, trouble is, finding one in good condition and low mileage, LOL.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Is it the same 4.0 that we have in our Explorers? If so, that would make one hell of an engine in that light of a truck. I have seen them in allot 4x4's and a few Ranger Edges, but wondered about the XLT models.
Yes it is and yes it does. My '02 Ranger was a 4x4 with a 4.0 SOHC and 4.10's and it was a rocket. (The zip tie throttle cable mod helped too. :D )
Back in the early to mid 90's Ford did put the 4.0 OHV into 4x2 Regular Cabs but it's a pretty rare bird. One of the magazines, Car & Driver I think, said it had a better power-to-weight ratio than the Chevy 454SS pickup of the day.
Also dropping a 4.0 OHV into a Ranger where a 2.9 used to be is a pretty easy swap.
I spent half of Saturday off-roading in my bud's Bronco II with a 4.0 swapped in, 4.10's with Lock-Rites front and rear, and a James Duff suspension. Rig looks basically stock but in low range it will climb trees at idle.
Torque is good.

A buddy of mine drives a 95 2wd standard cab with a 4.0 and a 5-speed. Moves preatty good.

sure there are..alot of people use them for prerunners. You can also get a newer 2wd 4.0SOHC. Just think....210 ponys in a 3500 pound truck :thumbsup:

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab with a 4.0 liter engine, 5-speed manual transmission with 103,000+ miles. I bought it new in August 1995. It has been an excellent truck, and yes it does have some get up and go.

Just got myself a '99 Ranger SuperCab Sport XLT 4X4...sweet i tell you ...V6 4.0 OHV

Still have my X though!

i have a 1996 Ranger Ext Cab Splash 2WD that has a 4.0L OHV 5-speed... my cuzin has a 99 Ranger 4x4 ext cab that came with the 3.0L motor, the 4.0L has been an option for most yr rangers.

~CJ

A '93 Ranger XLT, Supercab, 4x4 (Touch Drive with auto hubs, of course), with luxury cast aluminum wheels (throwing stars) and factory fog lamps, all in blue/green, is an f ing good looking truck. Omg. I should have got one of those.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Thanks fenderguy, so they do exists, trouble is, finding one in good condition and low mileage, LOL.
Most of them end up looking like this.
1600ocotillo16.jpg

JohnnyO said:
Yes it is and yes it does. My '02 Ranger was a 4x4 with a 4.0 SOHC and 4.10's and it was a rocket. (The zip tie throttle cable mod helped too. :D )
Back in the early to mid 90's Ford did put the 4.0 OHV into 4x2 Regular Cabs but it's a pretty rare bird. One of the magazines, Car & Driver I think, said it had a better power-to-weight ratio than the Chevy 454SS pickup of the day.
Also dropping a 4.0 OHV into a Ranger where a 2.9 used to be is a pretty easy swap.
I spent half of Saturday off-roading in my bud's Bronco II with a 4.0 swapped in, 4.10's with Lock-Rites front and rear, and a James Duff suspension. Rig looks basically stock but in low range it will climb trees at idle.
Torque is good.

Zip Tie Mod??? Share the wealth. i too have a ranger and am interested in that mod..what does it do?

There are photos of the throttle cable/ziptie mod posted here somewhere, but it's simple. Most all gas pedals have cable slack in them. The point of the ziptie is to put on the cable under the dash, so that the slack is taken up. This way, when you floor it, you can truly say "it's to the flo and dere ain't no mo".

Don't worry, if the ziptie comes off or something, you'll just go slower

I've got a 92 4X4 5spd w/4.0 project truck. Thing gets up and goes!

Crawl under the dash on your back. Lift UP on the gas pedal and pull OUT on the cable at the top of the pedal. If there is a gap between the bead at the end of the cable and the bracket then stack some tightly pulled zip ties around the cable between the bead and the bracket. Then cut off the excess. My Ranger took three. The Sport Trac is too new yet to get slack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back