Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
For more than a couple years now, I've been running with a Warn grillguard that was made to go over the front bumper, and still attach to the frame. It looked funky to me, since I havn't had a bumper in years. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I went down to Santee to Steve's house, a guy who fabs out of his garage. He's been working with metal since the 70's, and really knows his stuff, so after discussing what I was after, I knew he was the guy to do it. :thumbsup: I did not let the fact that he is in a Jeep club sway my confidence in him. :p

He started by reinforcing the frame ends, and welding in a winch mount plate. The small plates on the front of the frame rails are what the bumper bolts to. That plate goes back and is welded to the body mount bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_4.JPG
    IMG_0001_4.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,110

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the bumper. It's 1.75" .120 wall DOM, to match my exo.

Attachments

• IMG_0003_7.JPG
    IMG_0003_7.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 4,459

A couple more shots.

I trade two tikis for this. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0004_4.JPG
    IMG_0004_4.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • IMG_0005_6.JPG
    IMG_0005_6.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,117

Good stuff. Planning on anything else.

i like it.

I sprayed the bumper Blitz black, and now it makes all the other black really show how faded it is, so yes, I'll be repainting the exo, sliders, fender flares, and rear bumper over with the Blitz. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow, I hope to swap in my other 8.8. It's from Michael's old explorer, so it's an inch wider, plus locked. :cool:

Then shortly, I hope to get the BII gas tank in, so I can finally install the doubler.

Here's one more for Colin.

Attachments

• IMG_0002_7.JPG
    IMG_0002_7.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,033

do you possibly have dimesions for the bumper?(im looking into building a tube bumper).

Dude!!!! I knew you were gonna py in Tiki's!

Bill that bumper came out absolutely awesome talk about an update!!

Working on the engine should be alot more fun now :) and look the plate is protected sorda hahaha

Looks Really Good Dave :thumbsup: I think if your gonna do all that painting , maybe it's time for a new coat of olive drab too :p

Sweet bumper dude!

Stic-o said:
Looks Really Good Dave :thumbsup:
Brain fart, Steve? :p

I think if your gonna do all that painting , maybe it's time for a new coat of olive drab too :p
Yup, a fresh coat will happen, but not before moab. I'm going to buy a gallon of that color (Aervoe Field Drab) instead of in rattlecans again, then find somebody to spray it in trade for a tiki. :cool:

Tikis, the new cash! :D

RangerX said:
Brain fart, Steve? :p

DOH! :banghead: Sorry about that Bill. That's what happens when your try'n to respond to threads, and your really spose to be working :p

Nice. :cool: Something is still missing...oh yeah, a Warn 9k winch. :D

what about tow points? i guess you could jsut wrap a strap around it, but a nice d-ring mount would be nice to see also (maybe i jsut dont see it:) )

Good eye, there's no tow point yet. Not sure what I want, but I'll have something before I wheel next. :D

And yeah, the winch is MIA. :rolleyes: That another thing I hope to barter a tiki for! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RangerX,

Your winch mount and tube bumper look sick, very clean.

Couple of questions on the winch mount plate, since I'm curious. Noticed the winch mount plate appears to be around 1/4" thick, and is bent to create flages around the perimeter of the plate. Do you know if the flanges on the winch plate were bent using an oxy-acetylene torch, hammer, and vise? or with some type of press (a hydraulic press might be a bit much for a home garage, then again maybe not)?

Thanks, Chris

Back