RAP module and KeyFOB programming problem - could Forscan help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RAP module and KeyFOB programming problem - could Forscan help?

German Engineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 2WD
Hello, I have a somewhat common problem, but a new question to it that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere.

I bought two replacement keyFOBs (Not PATS keys, but the remotes to lock and unlock the doors etc.)
I tried each and every instruction and procedure I could find anywhere to program these remotes, but my 1999 Explorer sport just won't go into programming mode.
I tried with the doors open, closed unlocked 8 times, 10 times, 5 times, 7 times from off to run, from locked to run. I tried every variation of the procedure to get into keyFOB-programming mode that I could find anywhere (and there are many variations to find).
The car has no error codes whatsoever, I even disabled the automatic light/dimming as someone in another thread suggested.
I also unplugged the RAP module and let it reset and all these things, I made sure the car was unlocked electronically, I checked the fuses...and so on. Whatever I try, the car just won't cycle the door locks to confirm going into programming mode.

To sum it up in short, there's only two more things I can currently see left for me to try fix this.

1 - replacing the RAP module:
One common comment seems to be that my RAP module might be bad, so I might need a replacement for it.
I do have a bit of a hard time believing this may really be the case, because the RAP module works perfectly fine otherwise.
I can program the entry code to the keypad, It locks and unlocks just fine with the old remote, there are NO issues whatsoever with the RAP module other than that I somehow cannot get into programming mode for the key FOBs.
It's possible that the RAP module is bad, but even just getting it out is a major hassle requiring something like half of the cars interior to be taken out in order to unbolt the module and put a new one in.
Plus the chances of finding a 21 year old RAP module on a junkyard that works perfectly fine for several more months or even years to come, may be kind of slim. Plus I'm not even sure it's not a wiring issue with some bad contact in the wiring harness connected to the RAP module either.
So I don't know, but taking out the RAP module and looking for a replacement or possibly a popped capacitor or so to try fixing it, seems to be the last resort thing to try, as much work as it is to even just get it out from behind the large quarter-panel on the 2door sport.

2- buying an OBD@ code reader that works with Forscan.
I have a very good code reader that has so far been able to do all I needed to do, but it;' not one that works with Forscan.
I found one for 30 dollars that should be fully compatible with Forscsan.
But BEFORE I spend 30 dollars for a code reader that can do very little more than what I have already I would like to ask if FORSCAN even lets me program keyFOBs without going through the procedure with turning the key 8 times.

Forscan would only help me if I could get around the procedure with turning the key and force the RAP module into programming mode via the OBD2/ CAN-bus system.

- So does Forscan let me do that and program KeyFOBs without the procedure for the ignition key?

- If yes, then how likely do you believe this might be to help fix the issue?
Would it be a reasonable attempt and worth buying a (for me otherwise unnecessary) code reader, or would Forscan just be useless in my case, as the procedure with the ignition key doesn't let me get into programming mode and it would be unlikely or impossible that Forscan would help let me get the RAP module to go into keyFOB-programming mode?

- Any other recommendations what the issue could be and how to get the RAP module to go into programming mode to accept my new replacement keyFOBs? I read just about every single topic on KeyFOB programming and the RAP module, and I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C'mon all you experts here, someone's got to know if it's worth giving Forscan a shot, or if that's not a tool that could help in any way.

All I can find are these cars-
But you can email him, sometimes they add features, he may work with you.
  • + Service procedure "Remote Keyless Entry" (program and erase keyfobs) for:

• Crown Victoria 1998-2011
  • Taurus 2000-2003
  • Lincoln LS all years
  • Lincoln Town Car 1999-2011
  • Mercury Grand Marquis 1998-2011
  • Mercury Marauder 2003-2004
  • Mercury Sable 2000-2003

Thank you!
Too bad the Explorer isn't in there. I'll try contacting the guy by mail.

Thank you!
Too bad the Explorer isn't in there. I'll try contacting the guy by mail.
A Russian guy develops it. A bunch of years ago, I worked with him to get the door keycodes. I had a few Fords then.
He told me to run something on the cars and send him back logs.

Back