Rapid clicking when starting the car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rapid clicking when starting the car

Fudman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
My daughter took the explorer to school this week. Tonite, she called and said when she attempted to start the car, there was a rapid clicking noise. The engine did not turn over. I instructed her to open the hood, check the battery connections (which she did) and then attempt to restart. Everything seemed tight. Same thing. Is this rapid clicking noise a symptom of a specific problem? Bad Battery? Loose connection? AAA is on the way to jump start the car. I'll post back when they arrive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The battery is dead.

-Dubya

AAA just got there and jump started the car. No issues at all. Hence, it is either the battery or the alternator or user error. The battery is about 3-4 years old and should be OK. The alternator was replaced this spring. Hence, user error seems most likely. 21 year old female user. I think I know where the problem is. Thanx!

AAA just got there and jump started the car. No issues at all. Hence, it is either the battery or the alternator or user error. The battery is about 3-4 years old and should be OK. The alternator was replaced this spring. Hence, user error seems most likely. 21 year old female user. I think I know where the problem is. Thanx!
Not necessarily. At the very least have the battery tested, or she may be in the same predicament in less favorable circumstances. The "average" lifespan of a battery is about 4-5 years depending on driving conditions and environment.
Be safe. :thumbsup:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/vehicle-maintenance/often-replace-car-battery.htm

Not stereotyping, but going off of my own experience - 21 year old driver - likely runs the radio with the truck off, maybe doesn't shut off the AC when starting, or at least turn the fan speed down to 1. I used to do that too, until I found I could get another year out of the battery by shutting EVERYTHING off before shutting the car off, and starting with no draw on the electrical system...

Get the battery checked. Can use a voltmeter too. Sitting still, not running, should be 12.6V +/-, running about 14.3V +/-. Anything less when off, battery is toast. Anything less when running, alternator is toast too. It wouldn't hurt to get the alternator tested, otherwise you'll kill a new battery just as quick. Also make sure to check the water level if you can in the battery.

Back