• Register Today It's free!

Rare back child safety seat

amigodana

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp 2WD conv. to 4WD
I have the back seat that came from the factory with the child safety seat built in. And apparently it is very rare for people to get that option, or at least I cant find them anywhere.

I want to keep it, it is very helpful for the grandbabies.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement seat belt for it?
Or at least point me in a direction to look some more, ANY help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing huh????????

Never heard of it :scratch:

Most people haven't. It was an option with ford for only a few years, but they discontinued it for some reason with safety. I personally have never had issues and it has worked great. Which is why I am trying to fix it.

It is hard to find info on it as well!!!!

uuuugghhhh!!!!!

I had one in my 96 XLT, but I threw the whole thing away when I changed over to cloth seats. Sorry!

It was pretty cool though.

So close, Yet so far!!!!

I have the back seat that came from the factory with the child safety seat built in. And apparently it is very rare for people to get that option, or at least I cant find them anywhere.

I want to keep it, it is very helpful for the grandbabies.

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement seat belt for it?
Or at least point me in a direction to look some more, ANY help would be appreciated!

I don't exactly know what constitutes a built in child safety seat as I have never seen one, but I wonder if these have experation dates? Most "aftermarket" car seats have a 6 year experation date. Just something to consider.

Do you know how the seat belt differs from the standard middle belt on the split bench, or might it be the same belt? Do you have one already but it's worn out?

Its not an aftermarket add on, it was a factory option which has been discontinued as far as I can find out. The restraint is in the form of a full harness like those used in regular child car seats, so its not even considered a seat belt.

With the modern child safety seats, the harness can be removed so the seat cushion can be washed. Is it similar with the built-in? If you can post a photo of the seat and the harness anchors, I can check with some of the old child seats I still have to see which brand makes a similar harness. My youngest child just upgraded to a booster last year, but I still have a couple of toddler seats laying around.

No its not the same. it has a retractable seat belt harness, unlike those in car seats.

I have one in my 98 as well. It was ordered as a option. When the child seat is extended or used there is a reaction cable from the upper section that locks the whole seat from folding down in case of a collision.

Give me a couple of days and I will try to make a video of it. I am at work off shore and I will need to get back to the shore during the daylight hours (because I only have a Gopro, which does not record well at night) to do this.

Go to you tube and type in 97 explorer walk around. A guy posted a video and his has one in their.

Back