• Register Today It's free!

Rare Dana 44??

Twisted1

Reaction score
City, State
Lee, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
I found a Dana 44 for sale locally on Craigslist for $200. It was exactly what I needed, full width, already set up for a 3 link, custom heim jointed 2" thick tie rod, High pinion and 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. I didn't think much of it when I bought it but once I got home I realized it was a leaf sprung axle origionally but I was told it cam out of a late 70's ford. I didn't question it because it was the standard bolt pattern for an F-150. So I did some asking around and research and no one could tell me what it was out of, and of course the numbers had all been cleaned from the tubes so I couldn't even reference those. It had some oddities to it as well that made me think it was a 3/4 ton that had been modified to run half ton knuckles and hubs. I was told when I bought it the tubes themselves had been drilled and tapped to bolt spring buckets directly to. I wasn't thrilled with that set up because I figured it would do nothing but weaken the tubes so I got out the welder to fill them. Then I noticed that the tubes were 1/2" thick which again made me think it was a modified 3/4 ton. Come to find out it is in fact a factory F-150 Dana 44 out of a 79 F-150 crew cab long bed. They are the only F-150 to come stock with leaf springs. The axles feature the HP, 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, 1/2" thick tubes and F-250 steering set up. I've been trying to find info on it and I've read in a couple different places that this is the rarest, strongest and most desireable of all Dana 44's. Has anyone else ever come across one before? And is what I've read true about it? Either way I feel like I stole this thing from the guy, I feel better knowing I didn't try and haggle at all just gave the man his asking price of $200 :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a good axle... IIRC the housing is the same as the 77-down half ton which also had the thick tubes.

The BOM # is etched in the housing so it will still be there. It'll start w/ 610 or 611

The BOM # is etched in the housing so it will still be there. It'll start w/ 610 or 611

I searched all over it for the BOM when I picked it up but I cant see it any where. Thats not to say I wont find it after sandblasting off the thick paint thats on it now. Right now the only 2 sets of numbers I can see are on the pumpkin itself. on the pass side front lower fin it's stamped D44-9F and on the drivers side opposite it has the numbers C38561, it could also possibly be 038561. I wasnt able to find anywhere I could reference that set of numbers though

i have the same axle mocked up under my 98 right now...its a good axle bc its a 5 lug 3/4 ton axle

i have the same axle mocked up under my 98 right now...its a good axle bc its a 5 lug 3/4 ton axle

We were both lucky to find one I guess :thumbsup: I cant believe the price I got mine for though and my luck to unknowingly end up with this particular axle. I was looking for any 78-78 F-150 or Bronco high pinion D-44, this one caught my eye #1 because of the price and also because it had already been modified in a similar way to what I was after, made my life easier knowing the DOM/Heim tie rod had already been built and I could salvage at least the lower link mounts, That was a couple hundred $$ in savings/ fab time right there. Now that I know what I'm after I've been keeping my eyes open for some of those backyard treasure farm trucks :D

That is the same axle I'm putting under my B2 as we speak LOL. Love the 1/2" tubes. I even used the flat spring perch on driver side to mount that side 4 link to.
What a pain it was to cut through the 1/2" axle tube and knock the knuckle off to shorten it 6". Then I had Moser cut and re spline the axle.

Here is a pic with some of the links. Also has High Steer from Ballistic Fab.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/Dana44 build/DSC03562.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/Dana44 build/IMG_0071-1.jpg

anyone have any ideas as to how i can get a regular u bolt to sit right on the pumpkin side

Back