Rare Explorer! 60/40 front seat, manual 4x4 with auto tranny pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rare Explorer! 60/40 front seat, manual 4x4 with auto tranny pics

I pulled one out of an Explorer at the wrecker and put it in my 91.It is basically just an extra wide driver's seat with a fold down arm rest.Passenger seat is just a regular seat so there was no need to change that.The only thing I had to do was swap seat tracks as the other Explorer was a different year and wouldn't fit so I had to re-use the one from my 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old thread, I know, but I'm looking for a bench or 60/40 for my '93 XLT. Answer me this: does the middle section have it's own seat belt? The reason I'm looking is to haul all 4 kids and my wife and I, so I need 6 seat belts. It will be cramped, but oh well. Anyone know?

Old thread, I know, but I'm looking for a bench or 60/40 for my '93 XLT. Answer me this: does the middle section have it's own seat belt? The reason I'm looking is to haul all 4 kids and my wife and I, so I need 6 seat belts. It will be cramped, but oh well. Anyone know?

Yes they do if I recall right. I have removed mine some time back now. I am the one that posted the pics. The passenger side was mounted with that side and the same with the driver’s side. Meaning they shared the same bolts. They were just loose cloth belts with the buckles so almost any belt would also work as far as that go's as they had no stand up plastics at all. I also found depending on the size of the middle passenger that it was best to have both front seats the same distance from the dash so that the back rest was even and a touch wider other wise its a bit slim and uncomfortable. I personal have sat in the middle and found it okay for short rides but at 5"10" and 200lbs I would not have wanted to road there for very long. Some have also put seat that face backwards in the cargo area also. Just have to find one to fit between the wheel wells and then come up with your own mount for the seats and seat belts again not that hard really. Good luck as it was not tell the grandkids and there mom moved out that I removed mine as like you I needed that extra seat. I now have power buckets and love them way more. O ya the back rest is attached to the drivers seat and they came as storage consoles or as just plain arm rest seat backs but there not easy to find by then selves at all so if you find a bench or 60/40 with it you better grab it and then work with what’s there or hunt hard for one of the few that show up now and then and be ready to pay for them.

Thanks for the info Huntman! I might search a couple scrap yards around, but like you said, probably hard to fine. Even if I do fine one, the odds of finding a nice set from a 15 - 20 year old vehicle that's sat in a junk yard in the rain and snow are probably slim to none.

As for the middle passenger, he'll be a lot smaller than 5'10" and 200 lbs. We're talking about a 4 year old! ;-)

Most seats from 89 and up Rangers and Bronco 2s of the same era will fit the Explorer, so don't be afraid to check those out too. My 91 Eddie Bauer Explorer 2 door, came with the Eddie Bauer Bronco 2 seats from the factory. So there was overlap between the models (though these are not the bench seat they were considered the base model non-premium bucket type seat of which the passenger side is inter-changable to bench seat equipped vehicles)

1993 and newer rangers used the same floor pan and cab sub-structure for the most part and I would think that seats as new as the 2011 Rangers should go in without much headache, provided you don't care about the interior design mis-matching.

Pre 93 and post 95 Explorer interiors are slightly different in colors and patterns, but the shape and build of the seat is mostly the same. I don't know for sure but it seems the same design pretty much was used from 1988-89 to about 2000-01 in all three models and may have carried on further in the Ranger. That may give you more options as far as finding a lightly worn seat.

Good luck

I had a bench in mine like in the pics, I tossed it in favor of buckets and console. My seat was all kinds of jacked up.

Mine was a 92 XL model, more stripped down. Look at rangers for a bench, but you may have to swap your seat brackets over for the bolt holes to line up. I did.

Back