Rattle 2-3k RPM

ryanpetit

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi all,

My explorer has a faint rattle coming from the engine under load at between 2000-3000 RPM.

Is this the timing chain? I saw another thread on here relating the timing chain guides but noticed its for second gen.

Also if it is the chain guides, is it ok to drive? Or will it chew the chain apart pretty quick?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just hit 100k miles on my '02 xls. It's been making that noise since I bought it used with 40k miles on it. It drives me nuts but really hasn't gotten any worse. At first I thought it was a timing/pinging problem. Just be careful if it gets louder.

Tom

They're really dependant on the engine. I've heard trucks like Tom's that seem to have a chain issue and run forever. Others blow up the next day. It's odd, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. I guess when fear outweighs your will, it'll get fixed. At least that's how my repairs are usually scheduled... :)

Ok cool, that's put my mind at more ease ;)

It gets quieter when its warm, I'll just have to make sure it doesn't get any louder :cool:

If it is the timing chain, what would cause it to get quieter when the engine warms up. I know with mine eventhough the engine coolant temp is at running temp, if I drive it for like 20 minutes the noise cant be heards.

can be the hydrolic tensioner on the front right bank or the left rear bank , i replaced the jackshaft tensioner for chain noise ( it was toast ) and the hydrolic tensioners on top front of block and the rear one on side of block as well ( pass )

Well see I just went to my ex, listened under the hood in the back of the engine dont hear anything sounds like a quiet motor, but my head under drivers door and its louder near the cat and sounds like shwwwoooo shwoooooo, could that be a quidience on what the 2800 rattle is that clears up when parts get hot

Back