Rattle after chain replaced | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle after chain replaced

valchog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Wxplorer '98
Hello
After 2 moths I've changed all the chains and guides. Now I have the 2-3 sec rattle on cold start. Changed the chain tensioner again, but no luck. The rattle is there. Changed the oil with Motul 20-60 - rattle again. There is no rattle after 3-4 secs. I changed the guides 2 times for one year and maybe 10 000 km. What can be the problem?

weak springs?

I had the same experience after replacing my timing chain related components. I decided that the springs in the new hydraulic tensioners are weaker than the original ones. The extra slack in the chains allows them to contact unlubricated surfaces. As the oil pressure builds after engine start, contact surfaces are lubricated and the hydraulic piston decreases the slack in the chain. My solution was to install a pre-oiler (Accusump) so there is oil pressure prior to cranking the starter. Now the only time I hear startup rattle is if I depressurize the Accusump when performing a complete oil change. After using it for a few years I think I would prefer to have an electric oil pump but that requires installing a port in the oil pan.

What brand of tensioner are you using? I have also found that some of the aftermarket ones have significantly weaker springs than the original Motorcraft ones. You might try getting some from the dealer to get stronger springs.

I used one from ebay. Also used old one but there is no difference. When I remove the tensioner when the engine is hot, there is oil in there and I can hardly press 0,5 cm of the tensioner. So I think there is enough power to hold the chain. I found that not every time I start the engine there is a noise. Last summer I changed all chains and giudes and tensioners. There was no problem until one of the heads gone away due to crack. So I changed the head and after that the rattle appeared. This spring I changed again front and rear Chainguides. The rattle is from the rear cassette. I'm tired from this chains. But i made SOA and put 33 tyres and other good stuff and use it for hard offroad. Im scared every time I start the engine.

Back