rattle/clunk from front end and brakes.... please help.. very annoying cant figureout | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rattle/clunk from front end and brakes.... please help.. very annoying cant figureout

mbelcher0014

Reaction score
City, State
owensboro, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 LIFTED EXPLORER
i have a annoying rattle/clunk from up front when i hit bumps but the weird thing is it goes anytime i hit the brakes... also when i come to a stop the drivers front in like pops downward and when i let off it pops and comes back up.... ive checked all suspension parts minus cv joints and all are good.. ive replaced wheels bearing, callipers (new), new rotors, new brake pads, new brake lines... i have tightned all nuts and bolts and none were loose... i cant figure it out... only thing i didnt install was the clip for the brakes because i wasnt exactly sure on how it went... lmk if anyone you have anyideas its very annoying. but when i hit brakes it rides as quite as can be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the clip might be the deal, can you post a pic of the clip ?
and also being as it is a 1st gen, check the radius arm bushings,,

the clip might be the deal, can you post a pic of the clip ?
and also being as it is a 1st gen, check the radius arm bushings,,

it has aftermarket arms with new bushings... i do believe they are in good shape i havnt actually checked them but i will tomorrow... and ill get pics of the clip tomorrow... its just the clip that came with the brake pads.....

yep check your radius arm bushings

That clip that you didn't install is appropriately named an anti-rattle clip. When you don't install it, the brake pad will rattle around in the caliper as you're driving over small bumps. Yes, it's annoying. When you hit the brakes the pad hits the caliper and is forced to stay against it until you release the brakes. Hence the smooth sailing when using the brake. The clip is a cheap part, and any competent auto parts counter can show you how to slide it on.
Happy trails!

Back