Rattle coming from under front of vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle coming from under front of vehicle

JDM22

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 ford explorer limited
Have a 17 explorer limited v6 2wd with a rattle that you can feel with your feet from floor and pedals. Seems to be coming from just under your feet and in the center of the vehicle. It does it over small bumps and when 65+ mph. 99% sure it's not the struts or sway bar. When on gravel the sounds seem to be in unison with the engine movement. So far 2 mechanics cant figure it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you happen to have the factory tow package? If you do, possibly the air deflector might be loose.

Peter

Check the end links, as one or both may be loose and causing vibration to resonate across the sway bar.

Check the end links, as one or both may be loose and causing vibration to resonate across the sway bar.

I just had my links replaced yesterday under warranty (143,000 miles lol)because of a noise.. but it was more of a thud/bang over any type of bump or crack in the road.

Up to about $9,500 in ESP repairs now.. bet Ford cant wait for the ESP to expire hahaha.

I just had my links replaced yesterday under warranty (143,000 miles lol)because of a noise.. but it was more of a thud/bang over any type of bump or crack in the road.

Up to about $9,500 in ESP repairs now.. bet Ford cant wait for the ESP to expire hahaha.
Thank goodness for ESP.
I assume this would only be covered under bumper to bumper for those that doesn't have ESP?

Had new end links ordered took it to mechanic they said they would put them on but is a waste of money because the original ones are good. The have no slack/ movement at all. Going to take both off this afternoon and see if noise is gone though.

Does it sound like a rattle(metal on metal) or more of a dull thudding?
There's a thread on here for front end clunk and it has to do with the front control arm bushing.

I dont rhink its metal related. Was crazy yesterday and put my head under it yesterday while wife drove and every bump that caused and movement of the engine/trans you could hear it then. When toy feet are on the pedals or passenger floorboard you can feel it. Wondering if it could be a engine mount or the one for the trans

Also just hit a rather large bump moving at a slow speed and after the bump you can still hear it for a second or so.

Thank goodness for ESP.
I assume this would only be covered under bumper to bumper for those that doesn't have ESP?

That's my thought but not 100%. Whoever gets this Ex when we sell should be set for a while. Whole front suspension (front end) replaced, epas, water pump, timing chain, spark plugs

Sway bar links are not expensive to replace. DIY 70 dollars

Not the end links. Took both off to replace drove on gravel road while disconnecting and sway bar tied so it couldn't rattle and still have the noise. It sounds like a large mass moving. You can hear it in the attached video

Something with the exhaust maybe

When slowing down and the vehicle downshifts I can hear the noise as well just not as loud. You can feel it under your feet, not bad but you can.

Sometimes on diagnosing squeaks and rattles you really have to think "out of the box".
Short story:
Once I owned a 1988 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4, I had an annoying squeak that came from the center part of dash board when going over big or small bumps, but only in cold weather (WTF?? LOL)
I spent months try to find it. To make a short story shorter, the squeak was the rubber hood bumper just in front of the cowl area under the windshield, a small dab of grease fixed it right up!

This is on my wife's vehicle and after me driving it trying to narrow it down I've noticed while traveling at slow speeds when you let off the accelerator and it shifts same noise and thud.

Not the end links. Took both off to replace drove on gravel road while disconnecting and sway bar tied so it couldn't rattle and still have the noise. It sounds like a large mass moving. You can hear it in the attached video

I can definitely hear it.
Must be annoying as hell?
How about the axels?

I can definitely hear it.
Must be annoying as hell?
How about the axels?
I dont rhink it's the axles. Could be but not sure. I'm starting to think it's an engine or trans mount. Going to mount a camera under to see what's got the most movement.

The movement of the engine and noise are the same so I'm assuming it's going to be a mount. (Think the drivetrain warranty covers them) on the attached video of you listen closely they seem to be in sync someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The movement of the engine and noise are the same so I'm assuming it's going to be a mount. (Think the drivetrain warranty covers them).....
Yes, engine mounts are covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Back