Rattle from driverside dashboard in cold, at highway speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle from driverside dashboard in cold, at highway speeds

spark26981

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT - Green Gem
Have had our 2013 XLT since November. After a few weeks I noticed a slight rattle from the driver's side dashboard area that only seemed to occur when the car was cold and on certain road surfaces.

Last week we took a trip to the Northwoods of WI, and the noise became more persistent and also seemed to spread to the passenger side too. Now we are back home to slightly warmer temps in Chicago, the noise is still pretty persistent.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes this weekend on our way to skiing. I found if I pushed down on the far left edge of the plastic piece up front, the part that had the vents for the defrost, it would stop. So when I got home I popped it up with a flat screwdriver and stuck in a wadded up piece of rag, then snapped it back down. Theory is the rag will push up on the piece and stop the rattle. So far so good, but just been one day.

Have had our 2013 XLT since November. After a few weeks I noticed a slight rattle from the driver's side dashboard area that only seemed to occur when the car was cold and on certain road surfaces.

Last week we took a trip to the Northwoods of WI, and the noise became more persistent and also seemed to spread to the passenger side too. Now we are back home to slightly warmer temps in Chicago, the noise is still pretty persistent.

Hi spark26981,

I suggest mentioning this to your dealer the next time you stop by for an oil change or other scheduled maintenance appointment. Ford certified techs are pros when it comes to tracking down pesky noises. Feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance.

Crystal

I have the same noise only in cold weather in my 2013 also. If you hold the piece down in goes away.

I have the same problem. Yesterday in NY was about 19 degrees and I started to here the sound. I thought it was my inspection or registration sticker on the window making the noise because its has some sticky glue to it but it wasn't. Did anyone get it fixed?

I have the same creaking sound from the windshield defroster vent.. Damn plastic!!!

You can include me in this group. It's 10 degrees here in North Jersey though. I can't see going in now with just this issue, but I'm confident that when the times comes for an oil change/tire rotation, it will be +40 degrees and they "can't replicate the problem".

Oh well. I guess I could youtube it.

Temperature the last few days has been around -18 F (record setting -28 C) and no creaking or noises of any kind when I took my Explorer out.
The vehicle was perfect, but as for the driver, that is another issue.:D

Peter

Noticed it for the first time this week, but its been -18F here for the past 5 days. If its still there when it warms up a bit, I'll have the dealer look at it.

Noticed it for the first time this week, but its been -18F here for the past 5 days. If its still there when it warms up a bit, I'll have the dealer look at it.
Just wondering if it could be a small piece of ice fluttering around somewhere? Mine has been quiet but then I park in my garage (unheated) when I'm home.

Peter

Temperature the last few days has been around -18 F (record setting -28 C) and no creaking or noises of any kind when I took my Explorer out.
The vehicle was perfect, but as for the driver, that is another issue.:D

Peter

You actually have to drive the vehicle to replicate it. Lol

I've been able to duplicate it by hand every time. Grab the vents and wiggle them forward and back and it creaks really bad. If dealer cant duplicate, show them.

Ill be bringing it back in as I didnt realize how to duplicate it until after they"could not duplicate" it.

I have the same exact problem with my 2011. It seems those pieces don't fit together correctly.

Its probably normal -

I'm sure you all know this, but pops and rattles at really cold temperatures, and while your car is heating up from really cold temps are the result of normal thermal expansion and contraction and also different rates of expansion and contraction between different materials (e.g., the glass contracts less than the plastic of the dash). They may also be the result of a high temperature differential that the materials in your car are exposed to (think about it - it's -15F outside and +68 inside - thats a 83F difference and all that's between you and the outside is a thin sheet of glass and some metal).

Your house does the same thing - on a really cold night your house probably creaks and occassionally you will hear a "pop."

Unless it's a real serious rattle or popping, it's probably normal (I get them too - but mine always disapear when it warms up outside), I'd be REAL hesitant to have Ford even touch the dash until you can confirm the rattle is still present at more normal outside temperatures. You might find that any loose pieces that were tightened to quiet the car at cold temperatures are too tight at normal temperatures and rattle then.

I should add that my wifes Jeep does the same thing.

I have the same noise only in cold weather in my 2013 also. If you hold the piece down in goes away.

I have the same problem. Yesterday in NY was about 19 degrees and I started to here the sound. I thought it was my inspection or registration sticker on the window making the noise because its has some sticky glue to it but it wasn't. Did anyone get it fixed?

I have the same creaking sound from the windshield defroster vent.. Damn plastic!!!

You can include me in this group. It's 10 degrees here in North Jersey though. I can't see going in now with just this issue, but I'm confident that when the times comes for an oil change/tire rotation, it will be +40 degrees and they "can't replicate the problem".

Oh well. I guess I could youtube it.

I have the same exact problem with my 2011. It seems those pieces don't fit together correctly.

Hey folks!

If you're currently experiencing this concern, swinging by your dealership is a good first step. Additionally, I'm happy to get this in the hands of your individual regional customer service managers; just send me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get the ball rolling.

Its probably normal -

I'm sure you all know this, but pops and rattles at really cold temperatures, and while your car is heating up from really cold temps are the result of normal thermal expansion and contraction and also different rates of expansion and contraction between different materials (e.g., the glass contracts less than the plastic of the dash). They may also be the result of a high temperature differential that the materials in your car are exposed to (think about it - it's -15F outside and +68 inside - thats a 83F difference and all that's between you and the outside is a thin sheet of glass and some metal).

Your house does the same thing - on a really cold night your house probably creaks and occassionally you will hear a "pop."...

Thanks for the good info, jrmexplorer!

Have a great weekend,

Crystal

Yes I developed that pesky rattle in the dash along wit other rattles i need checked out.....

Just a little silicone

Had the same noise going on with my 2011. I just took a can of 3M Silicone Lubricant and vary sparingly sprayed it in between where the plastics meet each other on the driver’s side of the dash. Takes just the least little bit applied with the included tube. You shouldn’t even have to wipe it off the dash if you are really careful. There is a slight odor for a couple of days but it's gone now and the squeaking has been gone for almost 2 months.

I've used the same spray for sliding windows that were squeaking on other vehicles.

Same thing just started on our '11. Thanks for the suggestion of the silicone lube.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to revive this old thread. I had this exact same problem on my car. Took it to the dealer and they took the entire piece off and installed flock tape around the entire edge of the vent piece. Rattle appears to be gone for the time being. Now i need to figure out the rattle that is occurring in the overhead dome light and rear passenger seat.

Back