• Register Today It's free!

Rattling/clicking

rpatten

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I have a 95 XLT 4x4 with 124K miles. About a month ago started noticing a rattling/clicking noise coming from the front-end whenever I let off the accelerator. Whenever I am giving it gas and accelerating or maintaining speed I do not hear the rattle but if I let off the gas pedal completely (and begin to decelerate) that is when the rattling starts.

My initial thought was that it was the early stages of a CV joint going bad because the sound is very similar to that. But, the sound wasn't caused by turning so I should have rules out the CV joint.

Anyway, I decided to do some front-end work due to the # of miles I've got on it. In the past week I have replaced: lower ball joint, upper control arm w/ upper ball joint, outer tie rod end, half-axle (with both CV joints), and the torsion bar adjuster. I completed all of this on both sides and then had it aligned.

The good news is that the ride is much better and the steering is tighter with no drift (thanks to the ball joints). But, the bad news is that I still have the clicking when I decelerate. I am thinking that it might be the hubs or wheel bearings.

Any ideas on which direction I should go next to resolve the clicking noise? Thanks in advance!

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the shocks 144k old? That or the sway bar bushings.

Welcome to the site! :D

Thanks, I think this site is great!

I replace the shocks about every 50,000 miles so the set I've got on it now only have about 20K on them and should be good. When I did the front-end work I checked the shocks and they seemed to have pleny of life in them.

I replaced the swaybar links about 10,000 miles ago so those should be good.

I haven't been able to tell if the clicking is coming from one particular side or the other. From inside the vehicle it sounds like it is coming from about the center of the chassis (possibly somewhere near the transmission) but I could be wrong as it may be more toward a side. I will confirm that tonight.

I am starting to think this sounds like a U-joint problem. Anyone else have any insight or suggestions?

does it happen when the car is idling?...because it sounds like a problem i had about 10K miles ago(at 76K) and it ended up being the timing chain tensoners.....cost me $85, because of a recall, but the milage limit is 100K so if its the same problem you have your S.O.L.....the total bill sent to ford from the dealer was right at $700

Nope, it only happens when I roll out of the accelerator. So, I believe it is somehow tied to pressure put on the drivetrain when I decelerate. I am going to put in on blocks and try some tests with the truck off the ground but I suspect the sound won't happen or will be much less. Seems like it it likely either a trasfer case or U joint issue but I am not quite sure.

Back