Rattling/Grinding Noise On Startup and During Acceleration | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Rattling/Grinding Noise On Startup and During Acceleration

Blake Witt

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Good Evening Everyone,

So I own a 1994 Explorer XLT, and I just drove it from Seattle to Tempe, and it ran fine the entire time however it started making an interesting noise around the halfway point of the journey. The sound can be described as a rattling or a grinding, and it only happens for about 2 seconds when I start it and is consistent when I accelerate. I pulled over and stopped at a service station and the mechanic that I asked told me that he thinks it's coming from the exhaust, and on the long drive something may have come loose which could've caused the rattle. My question for you guys is how do I fix that? My previous research has led me to believe that the heat shield around the exhaust could have come loose, and I'm not sure if that is or isn't the case as of now, but I'm not sure how I would go about fixing that anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Welcome to the forum. Heatshields are likely. I think the best way is to have someone in the vehicle rev the engine up and down while you stick your head under and pinpoint where it's coming from. Could be a few different things.

Blake Witt

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Welcome to the forum. Heatshields are likely. I think the best way is to have someone in the vehicle rev the engine up and down while you stick your head under and pinpoint where it's coming from. Could be a few different things.

Yeah that's my next course of action. He seemed pretty confident that it was the exhaust so I'm gonna give it a shot when it's light out. Thanks for the reply. Will update this thread with results.

Centaurious

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
Use a couple of long hose clamps to stop the shield from making noise.

larrydd999

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Port Angeles, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT, 94 Limited
Both my Gen1's have had a rattling heat shield. As suggested above I used hose clamps to make it stop.

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
Heatshields are likely.
X3
But you have to try to isolate where it's coming from...these types of noises on an X could be anything.

Gadget X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 5-speed
I also agree with the heat shield presumption. I've had to use hose clamps on the heat shield for the muffler and the cat. If you reach underneath (while the exhaust is cold!) and "tap" the shields with your hand, you should be able to pinpoint the issue. Good luck with it!