Rattling/knocking front end | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling/knocking front end

When I put new tirs on it two weeks ago, they replaced the RA bushings due to wear. The exhaust was cooking one of them on the passenger side!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the passenger side is supposed to have a heat shield on it. thats what its there for, to prevent cooking the bushings.

did they replace the bracket???

My 92 was rattling/clanking real bad, due to totally missing bushings on pass side. I replaced them, the heatshield (also missing), and the pass side bracket. took me a couple hours in the yard, and less than 50 bucks in parts, and now it dont rattle/clank like it did.

I still do have a rattle, but I know where its from, my front axle u-joints are totally worn out, and bumps cause my front axle halves to bounce up and down.

In your case is the sound more noticible in the winter cold weather? Im familliar with this sound its been bothering me for years,,, its most previlant in the rear driver side wheel well. I had this in to Ford sevarl times, they cant find it. when ridding with the wife I hear the same thumping sound when when she its pavment inpefections hers is on the passenger side front. I pretty sure now this sound is when the break calipers pads are cold they are a bit smaller and flop around in the caliper, dispite springs clips.

I intend to clean and lube the entire brake system,, and change all the retaining clips. Also I’m going to put some of that liquid noise reduction gook between the retainer clips and the pads. The sound to me sounds like metal clanging but muffled more like thumping,,, sounds like metal banging around inside another container weird, I thought the pistons inside the shock were clucking had dealer replace them that wasn’t it. I thought it was the axial inside the axial casing, not. Cause I heard it in the front wheel of the wife’s car.

rattling front end

I have the same rattle. Goes away with the slightest pressure on the brake. Just enough to make the lights come on but not slow down the vehicle. I took it to a shop and they think its actually coming from the back. They looked at the brakes and didn't see anything wrong. This has been going on for about a month and now I feel a slight pulling to the right when I brake. I've been describing it as dragging a chain. It gets that bad at times.

I have this same problem in my 2000 sport- its gotten worse with time and would like to know what I should be looking for.
There is a rattling in the front end very apparent over any bumps- when I apply the brake a little over the bumps it is not nearly as bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back