Rattling noise at 2500+ rpms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling noise at 2500+ rpms

Trefty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
I've got a rattling noise that only occurs at about between 2500-3000 rpms and is worse while under load. Is this the dreaded "death rattle" or could it be something else? It sounds like it's coming from the exhaust but it's hard to tell while driving.

Very well could be the death rattle. Mine comes on about 2300 RPMs and also under load. Also rattles a bit at idle..though not too bad. If it is the death rattle, don't panic...it doesn't mean your truck is going to blow up any time soon. Mine has been rattling away for over 90 thousand miles (143,000 on the truck now) and is still going strong. There are also many others on this forum who've gone many miles with the rattle. It varies as to how long your motor will keep going. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Very well could be the death rattle. Mine comes on about 2300 RPMs and also under load. Also rattles a bit at idle..though not too bad. If it is the death rattle, don't panic...it doesn't mean your truck is going to blow up any time soon. Mine has been rattling away for over 90 thousand miles (143,000 on the truck now) and is still going strong. There are also many others on this forum who've gone many miles with the rattle. It varies as to how long your motor will keep going. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Yea I only get the rattle in the 2000-3000 rpm range, anywhere else and there is no rattle. I'm not too worried about it as I got the truck for fairly cheap as it needed some other work that I fixed myself and had been in an accident and wasn't repaired very nicely so if it does blow up soon I won't be out too much. It's nice to know what the noise is, I always figured it was an exhaust noise(rattling converter).

Back