Rattling noise from engine compartment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling noise from engine compartment

Ghen

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
Hi there, my 2003 explorer sport xlt with 4.0 sohc is making this noise when the engine is hot:

It is ok when engine is cold.

I know that this type of engine is notorious for timing chain issues, but the sound is very similar to a bad cat converter as below:

Can you please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Time for a full timing job
You have to pull the engine
You have to find a mechanic who is knows the job it's complicated
Should cost 2000-2500

Don't run or drive it like that or you will need a new motor

Time for a full timing job
You have to pull the engine
You have to find a mechanic who is knows the job it's complicated
Should cost 2000-2500
You sure that it's the timing chain?

Honestly 95%
But more experienced people will comment because you posted an excellent video

For what it is worth (less than Donald’s expertise), sounds like serious timing chain issue.

Good luck.

Timing Chains come to mind when listening to that video. However, my converter was making the same noise just not as loud as yours. Ended up removing the cat and a lot of honey comb and carbon material came flowing out of it. Ended up replacing the cat.. Problem solved

Timing Chains come to mind when listening to that video. However, my converter was making the same noise just not as loud as yours. Ended up removing the cat and a lot of honey comb and carbon material came flowing out of it. Ended up replacing the cat.. Problem solved
Your cat converter was making noise even the engine was cold?

@Ghen

A cat converter with a bad/loose/disintegrated honeycomb makes the noise all the time the engine is running and exhaust is passing through it.

So it does not matter if the engine is hot or cold - turn the key, start the engine, and the noise begins.

OK - My .02 - the video you took does not sound like a bad cat.

It's not very common, but I've run into bad cats twice in my life so far; once in a '86 fox body Mustang GT and once in a 2007 Lincoln Town Car, and both times it sounded likes rocks in a steel can.

When I listen to your walk-around video, to me, it does not sound like rocks in a steel can.

That's my vote - hope that helps!

Sounds like chain slap to me. Pull a few O2 sensors. If it’s a bad cat it’ll blow honeycomb through the hole.

agree with Donald’s. Don’t drive that at all.

Grab a long screwdriver and use it like a stethoscope. Hold the handle to your ear and touch the tip to different parts of the engine. It can help isolate where it’s coming from.

How is the sound when driving? When my chains were slapping, it got real bad around 2300rpm or so.

How many miles on the engine?

Grab a long screwdriver and use it like a stethoscope. Hold the handle to your ear and touch the tip to different parts of the engine. It can help isolate where it’s coming from.

How is the sound when driving? When my chains were slapping, it got real bad around 2300rpm or so.

How many miles on the engine?
It's got around 240K miles.
It usually goes away at around 1000rpm and comes back at around 1500rpm. Haven't tried more than 2000rpm. The intensity doesn't change that much.
So yours was making the same noise? what about when engine was cold or hot?

The more I read this I think rear passenger side chain guide
The only way to know is to pull the valve cover
I'd start on the passenger side

I agree with Donald, pull the valve covers and look to see if everything is intact. At that mileage, it's time to replace them. I did mine at 280K miles and they were still in great shape.

Yeah I think It should be the timing chain. I found 2 more videos on Youtube:

@Ghen

Here's why when the cats are bad, the "rocks in a steel can" noise is constant from the start of a cold OR hot engine, and it doesn't stop at ANY engine rpm:

Pawlik-Auto-Catalytic-Converter-Broken-Substrate.jpg

Compare the above pic to this pic of a good cat - no rocks in a steel can noise.

Best-High-Flow-Catalytic-Converter-1.jpg

I think it's time to get a roadside assistance plan! ;) :D

My water pump had intermittent leaks, losing around 1 liter per 1000km, I took a long trip to Calgary, 1000+ km, and it got fixed by itself!

My water pump had intermittent leaks, losing around 1 liter per 1000km, I took a long trip to Calgary, 1000+ km, and it got fixed by itself!

@Ghen

Just sayin' -

More than likely calcification buildup or something floating around in the cooling system was drawn to the escape area and temporarily clogged the leak.

The first hot day that you turn on your A/C may change everything.

I'd carry a gallon of pre-mixed coolant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Ghen

Just sayin' -

More than likely calcification buildup or something floating around in the cooling system was drawn to the escape area and temporarily clogged the leak.

The first hot day that you turn on your A/C may change everything.

I'd carry a gallon of pre-mixed coolant.
That was around 1.5 years ago. Unfortunately (or fortunately in this case) my A/C doesn't work, probably out of gas due to rotten pipes.
But how does A/C affects the water pump?

Back