Rattling noise

9COOP5

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS
2014 Exp XLT
when I go over bumps, you can hear a rattle noise but not on a smooth road.. Could this be a heat shield or a hanger? I looked under the truck some today by just laying on a cover and looking underneath all around and didn't see anything hanging.. But maybe I will jack it up and take a closer look..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just repaired my rattle. Check the sway bar links. 6 out of 8 of my rubber grommets where gone. Can buy replacement kit for around $35.

isolate the type of sound, it's frequency or predictability, and location to get a better idea of what it might be.

It sounds like it is coming from the rear end of the truck from the muffler back only when I hit bumps..

Ford just called after having routine maintenance completed and said they checked my suspension and everything looked well.. They did notice the heat shield was loose but that was all.. They said they could change it for a couple hundred bucks so of course I did not approve that repair.. I was told there is no way to tighten the shield.. Anything I can do or take it off from making the noise?

After some more checking for the rattling noise, I finally found out yesterday the sway bar bushings are completely gone.. Now I will see if only the bushings are needed or can I use the same sway bar..

Napa had a replacement kit for the sway bar links. Cost around $35. Just reuse the sway bar.

Back