Rattling sound when accelerating and oil pressure indicator going mad, help please… | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling sound when accelerating and oil pressure indicator going mad, help please…

Luis696

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4.0L SOHC 1998
hi, driving today rattling noise from engine has started and becomes more frequent when revs goes up, firstly checked if anything attached to the belt, as this is the place souds came, it was clear, you can barely hear this when idle, when accelerate it become louder and more frequent, after few miles oil pressure indicator on dashboard started to going up and down like 10 times per second, few times red light CHECK GAUGE has lit, but than stays down, I did check oil level and it is ok, fuel tank is full as well.

Please help, as I don’t want to go to garage and be fined for something not necessary broken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I woner if you've spun a bearing in your engine. You need to hook up a real oil pressure gauge and see what your oil pressure is. I'm sure the spec isn't lower than 12-15 psi at idle (some chevys are 8 :eek: )

-Drew

Sounds terrifying, if this help, rattling sound can be heard more from right side of a car than left, it is coming from engine I think, and pressure indicator doesn’t move when idle, it moves hardly (you can hear noise made by banging both ends) while accelerating, it is even harder while going on a high gear uphill, just before automatic transmission change gear to lower.

Just came back from garage, I’ve been told that there is a problem with piston rings, and engine has to be either swapped or rebuild. I’m wondering if this is so bad, if any one could have put some light in to the tunnel for me that would be great. The sound explained with a first post become louder and to describe, it sounds few nuts or wrenches has been placed into juicer and make it running :( once it reaching normal temperature rattling sound become even more disturbing and pressure gauge going mad after a while CHECK GAUGE lights coming up, but once cooled pressure is ok and light disappears.

I would really like to hear your opinion about this, I’m wondering is engine rebuilding/swapping really necessary.

Have you had your engine oil drained lately and checked for debris? If it's not the timing chain, I'd have to agree with DMB.

Back