Rattling/Transmission problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling/Transmission problem?

Hotrodx199

Reaction score
We have a 92 Exploder with a 94 4.0 v6 with a 4 speed overdrive auto. While driving we all of a sudden hear this clanking noise from underneath the car, at the same time my mom said she lost some power and she smelled something burning ( torque converter possibily?) But it ran perfectly fine before that instant second. I don't know what that rattling is but it's somewhere in the engine/transmission department i just cannot find where. We checked oils everything was fine.

Help?

A common problem is a heat shield on the exhaust will break a weld on one side, and rattle and clang. Hopefully, it'll be that simple.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

A common problem is a heat shield on the exhaust will break a weld on one side, and rattle and clang. Hopefully, it'll be that simple.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Thanks. Yeah it did kind of sound like in the exhaust area that rattle. I think there is one in the o2 sensor but i didn't bother checking. But i think the rattle went faster as the engine speed went up, i can't remember.

Okay, we put the transmission in any gear, it doesn't move unless we rev it to like 2500-3000 rpms. It's funny that before that instant second where my mom complained it lost power, it was perfectly fine, but since that instant second passes it happened.

Back