Rattling when going over bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling when going over bumps

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a 2003 Explorer xlt. I've been having a rattle issue lately in the front end when going over a certain type of bump. It seems it occurs after hitting the bump and the tires fall back to make contact with the ground. (In other words it usually only rattles when it's a raised bump vs a pothole).

I took it to the garage and they said it was broken sway bar end links..made sense.. so they fixed that, along with a bad front wheel bearing and rear brakes. After wards the rattle was gone! Though there was some vibration in the steering wheel when going approx. 75 mph on the interstate. I also noticed some shaking in the steering wheel when hitting certain bumps. Then as you could imagine the shaking eventually stopped but the rattling returned! It originated on the front passenger side tire, but now seems to be on both sides in the front. It's that kind of noise that injects fear into you of your car falling apart you know? I just need some advice on what this could be and how to fix it! I have jacks/stands and all the necessary tools.

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Brandon
I am also a proud owner of 03 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L with tow package. I now have 174k on mine with original engine and trans. I have replace all kinds of suspension parts on my Ex.
I would jack up each lower control arm and shake the tires up& down and back & forth. Then with the tires still off the ground put a pry bar under the tire and try to lift it up. This will check the lower ball joints. you can do them yourself with a balljoint removel kit. no other special tools needs.
How many miles are on your EX? Also look at bushings on the lower front control arms.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Tim, mine is approaching 150k. I had to have the engine replaced around 88k due to water getting in there somehow. About how far off the ground should the tires be to use a pry bar? I need a little bit more clear instructions as I'm new to running gear work, thanks!

they only need to be off the ground a inch or 2. just enough to get the pry bar between the tire and the ground.
how long has it been since the tires were balanced? or how old are the tires? you could take it somewhere to get the tires balanced and ask them to do a suspention check for free.

Tim,
What exactly am I looking for when doing these things? Should the tire shake? How my ply is acceptable?

Back