RCA Cables, Is There A Downside To Making Your Own? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hello, I want to discuss making RCA cables for the pre outs to the amp.

This is what I did on my wife's car, planned on doing to my vehicle, but I have alternator/engine hiss on her vehicle that I can only get to go away if I turn off I believe it is the HPF switch on her amp.

I've seen suggestions of grounding the RCA ports for quick fixes, I believe I have a ground loop issue personally, but that is besides the point.

I made the RCA cables for the HU to the amp. I used this particular coax cable. 75 Ohm XPRESSPREP Coaxial Headend Cable, Series 59, red flame retardant PVC jacket

I used red and white, the specs are the same for each.

It is Head end coax cable, RG59 quad shield 75ohm with silver coated copper clad steel center conductor, aluminum braiding 95% inner and outer braid shielding. Using RCA compression connector fittings.

This is the type I used. Belden SNS RG59 RCA Compression Connectors

Could this cable be causing me issues? I did not even think to check the different types of pre made RCA cables for car audio and what their OHM ratings might be.

As far as the engine noise in the system, her vehicle is a Dodge Charger and the battery is in the trunk as is the amp, I do not think there are any power wires running alongside the RCA wires.

Thanks for your time. I would like to keep the discussion mainly to the RCA coax cables. TIA.

Are your RCAs run on the same side as your power wire. That could cause an issue. Unfortunately Fords are notorious for engine noise. I use home built RCAs too. Not even using shielded coax. I just use 4 different single16g speaker wires. twisted up with a drill. Haven't had much problem with noise.

Tim

Are your RCAs run on the same side as your power wire. That could cause an issue. Unfortunately Fords are notorious for engine noise. I use home built RCAs too. Not even using shielded coax. I just use 4 different single16g speaker wires. twisted up with a drill. Haven't had much problem with noise.

Tim
This is on wife's Dodge Charger, but alot of the problem lies between the chair and steering wheel. Also probably a faulty ground as well. I can make it go away turning the highpass filter off.

My explorer, I have a parasitic drain and charging issue.

But thanks for reply. I am almost positive it a ground loop, from self tapping metal screws to the trunk floor in charger. I need to isolate that on hers to rule it out.

Quad shield connectors can be a pain in the ass to get on the cable correctly. A bad connector would cause signal ingress.

Back