RCD Releases '98-'02 Suspension Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD Releases '98-'02 Suspension Kit

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
August 11, 2003

To: All RCD Suspension Dealers and Distributors

RE: 1998-2002 Ford Ranger 4wd 5” Suspension System

Part #: 10-42498

Well what can we say; it’s finally here! After nearly 2 years of development, testing, and production, the new, innovative, 1998-2002 Ford Ranger 4wd 5” “Coil Over” Suspension System is on the shelf and ready to ship. The first run is a fairly limited run, but additional quantities will be available as production is in full swing now. We expect to have a full supply within the next 30 days.

o IFS Coil Over Conversion System that Eliminates the Factory Torsion Bar Assembly – “Another Innovative First from RCD Suspension.”

o Welding by a certified welder is required on this system so it may not be a big seller to the do-it yourselfer, this equals installer profits!$!$!$!$$! We will be referring customers to our Authorized Dealers. Make sure you have inventory to support this!
o Literature Changes – A few things have changed on the RCD Suspension Flyer (#42498FLYER).
o Year Model should be 1998-2002 and 2001-2002 Edge 2wd
o The kit photo shows a replacement rear block and short add-a-leaf, this has been replaced with a long add-a-leaf and extended shackle set up that vastly improves the ride and action of the rear suspension on these vehicles. We will be updating the kit photo soon, but be sure to note this to your customers if you use the current photography.

• Clears 33” x 12.50” tires on an 8” wide wheel, with a maximum back spacing of 4”.
• Driveline modification is not necessary for installation of this system.
• Some vehicles may require an exhaust modification to clear rear shackles.
• Vehicles equipped with an 8.8 rear axle will require part #20-69774 U-bolt kit.
• Welding by a certified welder is required for installation of this system.
• System features “Coil Over” Front Shock Absorbers that eliminate the factory torsion bar assembly.

Press Release - July 22nd 2003

RCD Suspension System #10-42498

1998-2002 Ford Ranger 4wd & Ranger “Edge” 2wd 5” Lifted Suspension System

Santee, CA – RCD Suspension is pleased to announce the release of it’s new, 5” lifted Suspension System for 1998 –2002 Ford Ranger 4wd and 1998 – 2002 Ford Ranger “Edge” 2wd vehicles after nearly 1 ½ years of development and testing.

This new suspension system is very unique in that it incorporates RCD Racing “Coil-Over” front shock absorbers manufactured by Bilstein that eliminate the factory torsion bar set-up. “The Ranger presented quite a challenge with the factory torsion bar set-up” commented Dave Willey, Senior Engineer at RCD, “functionally and aesthetically the factory torsion bar set-up had to go and we had been considering a coil-over conversion on a vehicle for quite some time, the Ranger was a perfect candidate.”

This has been a long anticipated kit in the light truck and off road industry. “We are very excited with release of this system,” replies Paul Breid, National Sales Manager at RCD, “again RCD Suspension continues to innovate new and exciting systems, leading the way in the suspension system aftermarket.”

The part #10-42498 5” Suspension System features RCD’s state of the art Lower Sub-Frame and CNC Machined Replacement Steering Knuckles, Front Differential Relocation Brackets, RCD Racing Coil-Over Shock Absorbers by Bilstein with pre-installed RCD Racing springs, Billet Steel Sway Bar Links, and Extended Length Stainless Steel Braided Front Brake Lines. A long style rear Add-A-Leaf and Shackle combination raise the rear end while improving ride quality complimented by Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorbers.

Race Car Dynamics, Inc. is a manufacturer and distributor of state of the art suspension systems, shock absorbers, fabrication parts, and related accessories & components for the light truck and off road recreational aftermarket under the brand names RCD Suspension, RCD Racing Products and Bilstein Shock Absorbers.

For more detailed application and fitment information regarding this and other Race Car Dynamics, Inc. products and systems, contact Jeff Yoder at (619)588-4723.

“Ford,” “Ranger,” and “Edge” are registered trademarks of Ford Motor Company. “Bilstein” is a registered trademark of Thyssen-Krupp North America. “RCD Suspension,” and “RCD Racing Products”are trademarks of Race Car Dynamics, Inc. 2003 Race Car Dynamics, Inc.

Attachments

• 4wd_kit.jpg
    4wd_kit.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,688

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coilover

Attachments

• coilover.jpg
    coilover.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12,004

OOOH!! AAAH!! Cant wait till someone puts this on an X. Maybe I could find a shop near me to put it on an X....

The links that go from the lower control arms to the torsion bar crossmember, are those for structural purposes only?

Those are the equivalent of radius arms. They are the pivot point at which the whole front axle rides.

edit: Actually, after taking a closer look at the pics, I AM ALL CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON THERE!!

It doesn't look like they'll move at all since they are attached to the engine crossmember...

Originally posted by Hartman
The links that go from the lower control arms to the torsion bar crossmember, are those for structural purposes only?

My guess would be support. Since you'll have all cross member hanging down, they must have figured that running the larger tires that may need some backup. Looks good though, bit pricey.

I think they are to add support for the front suspension from moving back. Since the tortion bars arent there any more it needs a little support. But I may be wrong.

oh my....:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
since it has an application for ranger 2wd....that means explorer 2wd also? ooohhh yahhh

From the looks of it, those bars are there to help stiffen up the dropped crossmember so there is no front to back movement under heavy acceleration or heavy braking. Whenever you extend something like that, it's going to have more flex.

After looking at it, it looks like it won't provide much more ground clearance than all the other kits out there because of the dropped cross bracket, but it definitely looks like it will provide more articulation and better control over the spring rates and ride height.

BTW, the torsion bars do diddly squat for stiffening up the suspension. All they do is provide vertical support for the vehicle. Actually, the only thing that holds them in place front to back is friction.

Can someone walk me through this like a 5 year old? It appears that the circled protion below is acting as a radius arm (or susp link). This piece looks to be, at most, about 1.5' long. It also looks to me that that arm is in it's fully compressed position? It appears to be hitting the forward part of its own bracket. Am I just not looking at it correctly?

Attachments

• coilover.jpg
    coilover.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4,038

Robb
The item you have circled is the lower controll arm (A-arm). The angle of the picture is throwing you off.

The "links" everyone is asking about are for structural reinforcement.

I know what I'm saving for :D Screw the paint job, I want lift now!!

It looks like those "radius arm hickies" don't even move. It looks to be attached at the crossmember and not the A-Arm.

Okay, I can see the "links" that Derek mentioned earlier as just longitudinal support.

I am just having a hard time seeing where everything is drooping and compressing here. Maybe it is just this pic that is messing with me.

Originally posted by Robb
Okay, I can see the "links" that Derek mentioned earlier as just longitudinal support.

I am just having a hard time seeing where everything is drooping and compressing here. Maybe it is just this pic that is messing with me.

Sleep on it, It'll look better when you're sober ;)

So this is pretty much a kit for '95-'01 explorers and '03+ sports?

So you are paying more money to have coilovers. I thought everyone wanted to get rid of the torsion bars for better clearance. Now you have the control arm crossmember strut braces hanging down just as far... :rolleyes:

And you are still limited on travel by the CV shafts.

Hey, whatever blows you skirt up.

Robb from the looks of it, it is the same suspension for the exception that the coilovers mount to the lower control arm.

Originally posted by Texplorer
Robb from the looks of it, it is the same suspension for the exception that the coilovers mount to the lower control arm.

That is right. Everything is the same, it just bolts to your control arm.

Okay, I can see it today (Todd was probably right about the sobering up):D

I can see now that the piece I had circled is just a lower control arm mounted at a 90* angle to those strut "links" that Derek was talking about. Last night, that looked to going straight out to the front (like a radius arm. My angles were all off. Been awlile since I have looked at a SLA.

Sorry about that!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Robb
Been awlile since I have looked at a SLA.

Listen to him, he's got a SFA axle and he thinks he's the man and rubbing it in the SLA peoples face. :p

Back