RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Chad,

Do you think it is possible to get a 14" spring in there with out hitting the gussets you welded in or if not the frame? The pics above have the gussets without the shock/spring. Do you think you can provide one that has the shock/spring as if you are looking into the wheel well from the fender side?

CMAX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, kind of off topic, but does anyone know the part number and aprox cost of the spindles for the RCD or Superlift 4x4 kit?

mine wur around 480 500 from 4wheel parts

Superlift

Dude,

I recommend going with the RCD or Camburg kit. Superlift has many flaws. You just end up spending more money to do other conversions that are already done in these kits although there are some flaws in these kits as well. I just have no luck with superlift components.

Anyways below are some places at which you can find the superlift kit if you are still interested.

check out these links......

http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K494

You can get it at a much reasonable price at JeffsBroncoGraveyard.com in Brighton, MI. Call for quote on the kit part numbers.

http://http://broncograveyard.com/

My last words are "just do your research...you'll be happy u did."""

CMAX

Well, I just want the spindles, I will be making all the brackets myself...

I'm looking at making a combo of the RCD and Dixon Bros kit.

Alrightly....Good Call!!

Well, I do you have the RCD Install Manual in pdf (provide me your email via private message). This manual has all part numbers. I am also in the process of design all the RCD brackets in CAD. I will provide RCD exact replicas and then make a few modifications to them for clearances and a more robust design (stronger).

As for the Dixon Bros kit, I do not have any info fo ya...

This combo idea sounds cool, cant wait to see how it turns out.......

CMAX~

Alrightly....Good Call!!

Well, I do you have the RCD Install Manual in pdf (provide me your email via private message). This manual has all part numbers. I am also in the process of design all the RCD brackets in CAD. I will provide RCD exact replicas and then make a few modifications to them for clearances and a more robust design (stronger).

As for the Dixon Bros kit, I do not have any info fo ya...

This combo idea sounds cool, cant wait to see how it turns out.......

CMAX~
Hey Cmax,

Can you send me a copy of the RCD brackets in CAD? That'd be really helpful. My email is hardywo@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help.

Rcd Shock Mounts - Cad Files

Hey Cmax,

Can you send me a copy of the RCD brackets in CAD? That'd be really helpful. My email is hardywo@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help.

For everyone that wants these files I will try and get them done asap. I work 65 hours a week and have no spare time. I will get them done before this weekend because I will be putting in my new coil-overs (I will make a install thread for you guys).

Can I post full version pictures on here.....or files??

thats it for now

CMAX

I am not sure about the legality of posting files containing dimensions of patented parts- I think the site could run into legal issues. It may be better if the file was distributed via email. I think pictures would be OK, but :dunno:

I am not familiar with CAD, what is used to view the files?

As for the install thread, I'd really like to see lots of pictures of the brackets going on the truck, especially how the lowers are located by the shock mounting holes. Some close ups of the upper mount parts too. If you don't mind.

As for the install thread, I'd really like to see lots of pictures of the brackets going on the truck, especially how the lowers are located by the shock mounting holes. Some close ups of the upper mount parts too. If you don't mind.

I agree with MountGreen...I'd love to see some pics, get the diagrams, and do this mod so I can go back to SOA. Thanks so much for the help and good luck getting time to draw this up for everyone.

I totally understand how you guys feel about totally copying the brackets. I am an engineer myself. I was planning on just using them as a reference and making a few modifications. How does this sound to you guys?

My plan is to design them full proof. Change them up a little. Maybe a few strength and mounting modifications. Cant remember but someone on here said that the bottom mount would be better if the shock mount was about 1" higher. Clear the CV I guess. Anyways I'll find that out this coming weekend.

Give me your suggestion guys.

CMAX

I priced the Dixon kit the other day.............about $4K including fox coil overs, and rear deavers........Yeah its gonna be a while.

I am really considering ditching my T bars though...

Just thought i would point out how it seems like all of a sudden, so many people have decided to ditch torsion bars for coilovers and are doing the conversion at pretty much the same time. One day i will jump on this bandwagon, but for now i just enjoy watching everyone else doing all the work and dishing out the money. Carry on everyone! :)

Its kinda like SAS. No one had done one, everyone was just making by with superlift, trailmaster, etc, then, all of a sudden, everyone and their brother have done an SAS :D

Coilovers make so much more sense. Torsion bars have a bad rep to start with then lifting with them didn't make it any better.

Really the only problem which torsion bars have is their short range of motion, and its greatly changing spring rate. Coil springs can be had in any range of motion, and the spring rate is easily made to be linear.

Much of the poor ride that we have is from having the torsion bars far from their middle range, the targeted spring rate. The spring rate which we are seeing is too great or small for too much of the time. With too soft of a rate the truck hits the bump stops harder when they reach them. With too hard of a rate the road forces are felt in the truck much more.

This is all dependent on whether you have the truck lifted or lowered as to which end you drive in more. I wish Ford would make the control arms as long as possible, and use softer springs with stiffer anti-sway bars. Wheel offsets on the later trucks is greater by about an inch, they have longer control arms by that alone. Regards,

"Really the only problem which torsion bars have is their short range of motion, and its greatly changing spring rate."

Sounds like a crappy way to spring a vehicle IMO!! I hate them I hate them with a passion!!! LOL

Plus they hang so low they catch on everything when wheeling. The ride is so much better now, on and off road.

Chad you are going to push us all to change over. Are you really that much happier with the ride quality? I'll wait until I have most of my truck rebuilt to decide about coil-overs.

Since I had my torsion bars cranked up for lift, the ride was terrible. Now it nice and smooth, and not bone jarring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that sounds like the spring rate was much higher cranked up(more twist), Now you have a better spring rate at the same ride height. Lowered trucks have the spring unwound more to get the drop, so their spring rates are too low. They get a decent ride until a bump highlights the short suspension travel. It's a shame that the suspension isn't mounted on a subframe. That could allow for height changes without affecting ride characteristics.. Oh well,

Back