RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Ammo any progress on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't this the extended/collapsed length given by the specs? Most shocks are measured eye to eye. Ride height is going to vary depending on your specific vehicle and the spring rate, not to mention the location of the spring retainer on the coil over shaft.

Shock specs:

Shock Travel: 6.50"
Extended Length: 19.35"
Collasped Length: 12.85"
Shaft size is: 5/8"
Fox Part #: 980-99-001A

No they told me to try and get a close measurement for the ride height. I may just have to wait until next week..

My project is pretty much on hold till I get some money saved up. The fox 2.0X6.5 are the ones that work for our use. They're a little longer extended, and a little shorter compressed than the Bilstein ones that come with the RCD kit.

So I taked with RCD and they said they wouldnt sell individual parts from lift kits. Now, what kinda fibbin did you do to get them to send all the mounting hardware? Just wondering......

bye the way, great info.....

CMAX~~

Ok ... money is in?

Ok fellas the money came in and work is in progress with body lift new black wheels and all that jazz. Lucky for me i live near a summit racing super store... almost had an ****** walking around that place. Found some coil over shocks in there from QA1. Part number HAL-UR7855P Here is the Link: Summit Racing: QA1 coil over shocks" (dead link) Tell me what ya'll think of them. Has anyone heard of them. They are $173.39 but they dont come with the coils. Ya'll think they'd work with the application ya'll been talkin 'bout? well hope this helps in some way.

They're a little shorter extended than the ones that come with the RCD kit, but that's not to say they won't work. Just fyi most coil overs wont come with the springs.

shocks

Thats ok AMMO i know they dont come with the springs.... leaves me open to get the ones i want... im thinking 14" 800pounders....hopefully RED to go with the motif of my X... but just checking to see if anyone had heard anything about QA1.... i realize they are shorter collapsed but with the shorter bumpstop that i have it would befine since collapsed its only about an inch different than stock... and when i have my 33x12.5's on it dont want it rubbin too much now do I. lol....

by the way AMMO.... i love your gun... but mines bigger...

Lets say I found some coilovers used, but still good for less $$. If and since I would fab my own upper mounts, couldn't I use longer travel coilovers?

EDIT: 10" instead of 6.5"?

Evan,
I have not heard from my contact for shocks in over a week, so it looks like I will have to pay the 5bills to get my shocks.

But how are you going to mount your shocks? They typically use the existing shock towers that are gusseted for added strength, and that determines you extended height.. Are going to use some shock loops from a ranger lift instead?

Chad

Evan,
I have not heard from my contact for shocks in over a week, so it looks like I will have to pay the 5bills to get my shocks.

But how are you going to mount your shocks? They typically use the existing shock towers that are gusseted for added strength, and that determines you extended height.. Are going to use some shock loops from a ranger lift instead?

Chad

I considered going to a local guy that I know and having him fab some mounts, cut off my shock towers. Just a thought though. May be more trouble than its worth. It seems like a little bit longer coilovers are more available. :dunno:

I am thinking of skipping RCD all together, going to my fab guy and having him make mounts on my LCA's, and towers for the upper mount. This guy is amazing, has an excellent eye for strength, I'd trust his build.

Ranger shock hoops may not be a bad idea either.

The shock hoops was what I was going to do if RCD did not sell the parts.

The 1 thing that concerns me about this conversion is that I do not have the trailing arms that come with the RCD kit.. Not sure if that is the correct term for them, but they mount to LCA drop bracket and connect to the tranny crossmember. I guess they keep the LCA drop brackets from bending/moving forward or backwards??

So I taked with RCD and they said they wouldnt sell individual parts from lift kits. Now, what kinda fibbin did you do to get them to send all the mounting hardware? Just wondering......

bye the way, great info.....

CMAX~~

Who did you talk to? They were pretty cool with me when I called.

The shock hoops was what I was going to do if RCD did not sell the parts.

The 1 thing that concerns me about this conversion is that I do not have the trailing arms that come with the RCD kit.. Not sure if that is the correct term for them, but they mount to LCA drop bracket and connect to the tranny crossmember. I guess they keep the LCA drop brackets from bending/moving forward or backwards??

I'd think the trailing arms could be fabbed up pretty easy, but I don't really see how they'd be necessary- the torsion bars do not stop any movement of the lower suspension, and lots of people are running a Superlift with no issues.

I was thinking of just making some just to be sure and they would help protect the exhaust system. I think if a bushing kit could be found, just 1" pieces of pipe tubing, bushings and tabs welded on the crossmembers.

I dont know the part number but i think they are 2.0x8.5 with a 700 pound spring but i think i am going to order some 800's because i have the coils cranked maybe halfway right now and they are settled, and i want to crank some more but i dont want to coil bind so heavy spring should do. You cannot beat the ride tho its like a caddy.

FOUND THAT PART # 980-99-001-A

FYI

The 2.0x6.5 shock from Fox:

Shock Travel: 6.50"
Extended Length: 19.35"
Collasped Length: 12.85"
Fox Part #: 980-99-001A

The 2.0x8.5 shock from Fox:

Shock Travel: 8.50"
Extended Length: 23.35"
Collasped Length: 14.85"
Fox Part #: 980-99-002A

**(Pay attention to part numbers in bold)**

ok, when we did coilovers on the explorer, i came home with spring rates of 500 over 600, and got yelled at for them being too stiff! and we jumped this truck! 900 lbs for a v-8 seems way too rigid.

What spring lenght do you need for the 6.5" coilover Fox shocks? Do you use a 12" or 14" spring? I thought it was 12" but another dealer is telling me 14" or 16"?? After looking at a couple pics from members on here that have done the conversion it looks like with the 12" spring you tighten it up quiet a bit and it leaves 2-4" of threads showing at the top of the shock. I dont want to have to worry about the spring binding up and not getting all 6.5" of travel.

Thanks,
Chad

Got the Fox shocks on the way. Now I just need to verify what length springs to use. 12" or 14"??? The 12" springs look there is about 2-4 of threads showing when pre-loaded, and maybe 14" would be better.. Anyone with the RCD conversion want to verify my thoughts please?

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is what I am thinking to. I want to have these done before I go to the Superlift park. You going to try and make it Evan?

Back