RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

I'm not sure, I really want to, but it all depends on work. Do you plan to wheel Sunday? I may be able to do Sunday, possibly Saturday. Not sure yet, all depends on time and money availability.

I think 14" springs are what Boomin is using now, but he is also running 5" RCD lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Evan,
I sent you another PM I just talked with the guy that I bought them from, and he said to use 12" and see how it works. If they dont work out then he will send me 14" springs. He said 14" springs may coil bind:scratch:

-when a spring gets so compressed so far that it is aginst itself, and cannot compress any farther.

Question

ok, when we did coilovers on the explorer, i came home with spring rates of 500 over 600, and got yelled at for them being too stiff! and we jumped this truck! 900 lbs for a v-8 seems way too rigid.

WERE YOU USING A DUAL SPRING SHOCKS? WITH ONE SPRING 500 AND THE OTHER 600????

CMAX

CMAX, please do not post in all caps- its as if you are yelling.

With as short of a stroke as the shocks in question use, dual springs are not possible, I looked into it. It would be nice to have them, but the spacer thing has to run up and down on the shock body. There just isn't much body there to run on.

Mounting coil-springs

I'm really interested to know how you guys mounted the coil-overs. Also, how does it work as far as replacing the torsion bars? I think I still don't quite understand how they work. Oh, and part numbers/where to get them for the mounts would be great. Thanks for the help.

Coil-Overs

CMAX, please do not post in all caps- its as if you are yelling.

Sorry about the CAPS guys.

I am currently working on this coil-over conversion as well. I recently was off-roading at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Michigan. The last day I was driving through some moguls and I came up to one big one. Let’s just say the front suspension didn’t handle it to well!!! First, both of the SuperLift front shocks are shot. Second, SuperLift bump stops are all bent up. Lastly, the driver side CV slipped out of the differential cone.

After a little digging around this is what I have found to be the problem. The SuperLift shocks from the 4” Lift Kit do not have the required amount of travel if you have applied a Torsion Bar Twist up front and a warrior shackle lift in the rear.

Here are the specs on the SuperLift shocks from the 4” Lift Kit:
Front Shock: Part #:85331/Ext. Length=20.91”/Col. Length=14.91”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: S1 & BP7
Rear Shock: Part #:85146/Ext. Length=26.07”/Col. Length=15.57”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: BP8 & EB1

Initially, I planed to upgrade the front torsion bars to a V8 spring rate code of 1 or 2. Then use a longer travel shock from SuperLift.

Here are those specs on the longer travel SuperLift Shocks:
Front Shock: Part #:85290/Ext. Length=24.67”/Col. Length=14.79”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: S1 & BP7
Rear Shock: Part #:85151/Ext. Length=30.07”/Col. Length=17.70”/O.D.=2.38”/Mounts: BP8 & EB1
***Note: Rear Mounts are not the same, just take out mount BP8 from old shocks***

Instead, I decided to go with the coil-over conversion because I really hate the torsion bars while off-roading. They do not look good and they just get in the way. First, I got in touch with the guys at RCD and obtained all the info for the 1998-2002 Ford Ranger 5” suspension lift. I have a pdf instruction manual and brochure with all the part numbers if any of you guys need it I will be happy to email it to you. Here is the list of the parts I got from them:

Part#: 20-52498-9
Description: Upper Front Shock Mount
Qty: 2
Price: $38.34ea. $76.68 tot.

Part#: 20-52498-11
Description: Lower Shock Mount, Drvr.
Qty: 1
Price: $41.25ea.

Part#: 20-52498-12
Description: Lower Shock Mount, Pass.
Price: $41.25ea.

Part#: 20-69319
Description: Hardware Pack Containing: (Shock Mount)
Price: $40.89ea.

The total was $208.99 shipped.

Just like the rest of you I am stuck on the coil-over shocks/springs. I have looked at Bilstein, FOA, King, and Fox. Bilstein’s cost too much and have no travel like boominxplorer says. Fox looks like the way to go.

Choices are:

The 2.0x6.5 shock from Fox:
Shock Travel: 6.50"
Extended Length: 19.35"
Collasped Length: 12.85"
Shaft size is: 5/8"
Fox Part #: 980-99-001A

Maybe??????
The 2.0x8.5 shock from Fox:
Shock Travel: 8.50"
Extended Length: 23.35"
Collapsed Length: 14.85"
Shaft size is: 5/8"
Fox Part #: 980-99-002A

The 2.0x6.5 has been used on tha704mafia X with a 12” coil of spring rates ranging from 600-800lbs depending upon V6 or V8 models.

I am looking into using the 2.0x8.5 with two coils because it has the extra travel to compensate for the torsion twist. The main spring is on the bottom and once it coil binds the top tender spring will take over. My problem is calculating the dual spring rates. I have tried using the FOA calculator, but it’s a little confusing. One I am estimating the sprung weight of my 2-Door X. Second, does the combination of two shorter springs having higher spring rates give a lower spring rate? (I ask because the FOA calculator is giving me around 1500lb/in main and 1000lb/in tender which results in a 600lb/in spring rate total) is this right??

My last worry is will the second coil spring clear the top shock mount? Any suggestions?

New bump stops and limit straps will limit the travel from over extending my CV’s again. Maybe custom CV’s in the future……..

CMAX

You wont be able to run 2 springs on the 8" Fox shock either. Both the 6.5" and 8" coil over shocks are single rate only. When you step up to a 12" travel shock you will then be able to have dual rate springs.

I have the 6.5" travel Fox shocks and 700# 12" hypercoil springs. If the 12" springs dont work out then I will swap them for 14", but it sounds like the 12" springs are the way to go. And then getting the shocks valved correctly for this application, because from the factory they are valved for lighter applications (ie. Dune Buggies, etc) Mine will be here Friday and installed this weekend so I will let you know how it works out.

Also forget about FOA shocks as they only have the 2.5" shocks which will require a 3" ID spring, and you wont have enough room for the spring to fit.

Chad

I'm not sure, I really want to, but it all depends on work. Do you plan to wheel Sunday? I may be able to do Sunday, possibly Saturday. Not sure yet, all depends on time and money availability.

I think 14" springs are what Boomin is using now, but he is also running 5" RCD lift.

Evan,
We are heading out Friday late afternoon, to wheel Saturday, and maybe a little Sunday morning, depends on how long it takes to drive there.

Also the last time Boomin posted about his springs he had bought new 12" 800# Eibach springs, here is the thread. His look correct now since he went with a heavier spring rate, there is not as much preload.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184133&highlight=eibach+springs

Chad

You wont be able to run 2 springs on the 8" Fox shock either. Both the 6.5" and 8" coil over shocks are single rate only. When you step up to a 12" travel shock you will then be able to have dual rate springs.

This site says that the 2.0x8.5 can use dual springs. Are they wrong?

2.0 8.5 " TRAVEL, 5/8 SHAFT, C/O EMULSION SHOCK
Quantity in Basket: None
Code: FOX-980-99-002A
Price: $235.00

2.0 8.5 INCH TRAVEL, 5/8 SHAFT, COIL OVER EMULSION, EXT. LENGTH 23.25 INCH, COLLAPSED LENGTH 14.85 INCH, ( REQUIRES 8 INCH SPRING ON TOP AND 10 INCH SPRING ON BOTTOM SPRINGS SOLD SEPARATELY )

http://www.mooreparts.com/FOX-980-99-002A.html?zmam=2626912&zmas=5&zmac=20&zmap=FOX-980-99-002A

Chad, I need a favor- Please take lots of pictures of how the shock mounts, the gussets on the shock tower. Multiple angles if possible. When (notice I say when, not if :D) I do this, I am going to fab or have the mounts fabbed locally. That way I can weld them onto the arms and save some $$ while hopefully improving on the RCD design if there is any short commings.

Looks like I got some incorrect info... But unless you fab/make your own upper shock mount how are you going to fit the longer shock in there?

I will probably run a 6.5" shock, the longer lengths are not that much cheaper used. I will just buy new ones. I think I can emulate the RCD brackets and bracing for the cost of a piece of 1/4" x 4 flat stock.

And CMAX, if you popped a CV axle out, you have too much travel- I had a similar problem at Moab. I'd suggest finding some limit straps, unless your coilovers will limit travel enough. Some people have busted front diff housings from too much travel. Superlift should send you a set of straps no charge- they did that for a few members on here.

Mounts

Please take lots of pictures of how the shock mounts, the gussets on the shock tower. Multiple angles if possible. When (notice I say when, not if :D) I do this, I am going to fab or have the mounts fabbed locally. That way I can weld them onto the arms and save some $$ while hopefully improving on the RCD design if there is any short commings.

If you want I can draw up the mounts in CAD and export to any type of CAD File if not PDF. I will also make a thread for the install when the time comes. Lots of pictures. Just let me know, my brackets should be here later this week.

I know that I will definitely need limit straps since that was my problem before. I will call up SuperLift to see if they will send me some since I had some problems with the shocks and CV's. Do the SuperLift kits come limit straps now????

The reason I want the longer travel is to compensate for my rear shackle lift, something I was never able to do with the torsion bars. Probably because I have the SuperLift Leaf Pack as well. Puting the rear way up.

I might have to use a 14" spring to get the front level with the rear. We will see.

Chad let me know which spring length works best to level it all out.....

CMAX

Looks like I got some incorrect info... But unless you fab/make your own upper shock mount how are you going to fit the longer shock in there?

I think I might be able to use shorter spring lengths than required to get it to fit. The only difference with the 8.5" travel shocks is that they have a longer extension length, so more travel. I wonder if I can just adjust until it works. What do you guys think?

CMAX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He said 14" springs may coil bind:scratch:

My 12" 600# ones did that. I now run 12" 750# springs

The bilstien shock that comes with the RCD kit self limits way before CV angles get severe.

Back