RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

The 01-03 sport trac & explorer sport, and 95-2001 explorers, mountaineers, & 97or98-05 rangers all have the same front suspension I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong. Meaning yes the 6.5" C/O should work.

If I were you I would just get the 800-850lb spring and be down with it. Unless you want to change the shocks go for it.

Chad,

Are you sitting level?? We though you were going up to a 900lb spring rate, what happened with all that.....

CMAX

Yes my ST is sitting level.

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally checked to see if the 12" spring will work for my application. Refering to the pictures, I am currently running a 14" 650lb spring on a 8.5" C/O with Reservoir Shock. In the picture it looks to only be a 12" spring thats because everything is at the ride height to make everything level. Therefore, the spring is compressed approx. 2" because of this condition.

COIL-OVER_2-24-08_1_Medium_.jpg
COIL-OVER_2-24-08_Medium_.jpg

Anyways, the pictures concluded that there will be enough thread on the shock if I go to a 12" 800lb spring. Again, I am restricting the travel about 1/2"-1" to protect my ball joints from taking the preload of the springs and the spring wont fallout either. I have about approx. 5" of thread less the 1-2" of preload of the new 800lb spring gives 3" of thread left. I'll be ordering these springs ASAP.

COIL-OVER_2-24-08_2_Medium_.jpg

The only problem I see is getting in there to pre-load the new 12" spring. I might just be making 2" spacers to take up the difference and allow me to preload like before when using the 14" spring. Of course it will not take as much preloading on the 800lb spring but the 1-2" difference in lengths may become a problem since the upper control arm is in the way. Thats where this spacer comes into play. It also might be easier to just get a spring compressor and preload it that way.

COIL-OVER_2-24-08_3_Medium_.jpg

COIL-OVER_SPACER_1_Medium_.jpg

2_0_REMOTE_RESERVOIR_Medium_.jpg
=
COIL-OVER_SPACER_Medium_.jpg

The spacer will be a 2-3" long and machined out of aluminum. I will replicated the bottom portion of the dual rate spacer to locate the spring correctly. The locknuts will still tighten everything down. I will get the springs on order asap. Then let you guys know how it all plays out.

CMAX

MISC_2-24-08_1_Medium_.jpg

SNOWBANKS....NO PROBLEM!!!

MISC_2-24-08_Medium_.jpg
MISC_2-24-08_2_Medium_.jpg

Update!!

Just recieved the new 12" long 850lb springs yesterday. I will be installing them later this week and then be getting the writeup all wraped up. Last week I had a boot sector virus on my laptop and had to bring it to the computer medic store. Hopefully, I get all my files back, if not I will only have the pictures I have online at Mediafire. No cad or other pictures I have taking since the install. I will be sure to take install pictures of the new springs. If you have any questions be sure to let me know.

CMAX

I am again really thinking about this or something similar- but I may "build" all of my own parts. Meaning, rather than buying RCD brackets, why not cut off my stock shock tower, weld in a 1/4" thick shock tower like this? Then use some tabs like these for the lower mounts- they would be put on a piece of thick plate on the LCA of course. It will take a little more fab work like this, but could be considerably cheaper than buying RCD parts. Thoughts? I am open to conversation on this, especially from those who have done it with RCD parts.

I weighed my front "axle" only today at work -2660 lbs. I don't know if that will help anyone else, but it may help me find the right springs.

I weighed my front "axle" only today at work -2660 lbs....

Wow, I carried my front axle in to a friend for rebuilding, and it weighed about 50 pounds, LOL. That sounds about right Evan, making the back half about 1700lbs.

I weighed my front "axle" only today at work -2660 lbs. I don't know if that will help anyone else, but it may help me find the right springs.

Can you weigh each tire individually? You also have the V8 correct? I have a 2001 sale brochure that states the torsion bar ratings. The driver side is different than the passenger side. I believe its a 50-75 lb difference. I will post it later.

CMAX

That was just both tires on the scale, not individual tires. Someday I will slip into the warehouse after hours and drive up on the smaller scale and get the weight of each tire. So I may need to get 800 for the drivers side and 750 for the passenger side? Or more than that even?

That was just both tires on the scale, not individual tires. Someday I will slip into the warehouse after hours and drive up on the smaller scale and get the weight of each tire. So I may need to get 800 for the drivers side and 750 for the passenger side? Or more than that even?

That sales brochure I found on my 2001 said that the torsion rates were around 750lb/in of spring force. Concerdering that the lower shock mount is at different places than the torision bar that force probably translates to something different. I am actually going to do the calculations once I have some free time.

I just bought 850lb 12" long springs. I went with the higher rate because one all my front 4X4 stuff is out at the moment (front pumpkin, CV's). Secondly, later I may be adding a coustom bumper and definately do not want to change springs again. I will be installing them this weekend. I may have the entire write-up doen by next week.

CMAX

Allrighty- again. I have a deal pending for a whole RCD kit, but its not likely its going to work out. It would have been a killer deal too :( Anywho, this lives me to buying coilovers and figuring out brackets or buying RCD stuff. Question is, I can get 2.0 6.5" Fox C/O's in Emulsion or Reservoir, the Resi's are "only" $110 more each. The main benefit is they can be mounted at any angle, even inverted. Which means, I could run them upside down and make sure the coils clear the CV. :dunno:

cmax...

I'm LOVING post 342!

Posting for subscription/later reading. I've been wondering how I'd be able to go about getting a res. shock on the ranger (have an 04 with the RCD kit and 700# hypercoils [12x2.5]).

Thanks goes to Rwenzing on here and of ranger-forums.com for steering me over this way.

Now if I can just locate a MOD50-R1 extension housing with linkage bosses to complete my on-the-fly to manual BW1354 conversion.....

I love how much research and work this thread has generated. Kudoes goes to all you guys that have put so much work into getting this closer to an easy mod. Hopefully as money works out I'll be finally getting this dome myself. Kinda funny I'm the one who started this, but I'll be one of the last to actually do it lol.

I love how much research and work this thread has generated. Kudoes goes to all you guys that have put so much work into getting this closer to an easy mod. Hopefully as money works out I'll be finally getting this dome myself. Kinda funny I'm the one who started this, but I'll be one of the last to actually do it lol.

Just wondering how the aussie up front is working out. I have my new 4.56 gears and a aussie for the rear ready to be installed. Just wondering how the front holds up with an aussie, I might buy one. I am still running my X on the road alot and do not know how bad its going to affect everyday driving. It should only effect turing during 4x4 operation correct?

CMAX

Cmax, how is the write up coming?

I'm going to be ready to do the conversion soon, I'd appreciate more details on your experience.

I still don't quite know what spring rate to run, I'd really like to get the springs right the first time, I don't have the extra cash for multiple attempts at springs.

Are the resi coilovers worth the extra $$? ($110 difference for a pair)

I'm thinking you would need the brown-wire mod ?

my '99 runs in auto unless I need fulltime 4x4.

the perfect unit for the front would be the prototype Torsen {if and when they get it to market ?}

I'm thinking you would need the brown-wire mod ?

my '99 runs in auto unless I need fulltime 4x4.

the perfect unit for the front would be the prototype Torsen {if and when they get it to market ?}

For an aussie, you do need the BWM, even the aussie reps on the phone say so.

I am not going to give a exact date since I can not commit to it. I had lost my data on my comupter a few times, etc. The last thing you all want is me to give all you excuse after excuse. So this is where I am at.......

I just finished this past weekend putting in the 12" 850lb springs. My assumptions were correct on needing spacers. The upper control arm gets in the way of preloading the springs. My design is almost finished on the spacers and I just recieved the aluminum stock from mcmaster carr. I wish to have this done in the next couple weeks and the writeup done soon after. The biggest thing I am trying to do is determine the actual engineering data. Meaning a spread sheet that calculates the exact spring rate for your vehicle. The only input or value you will need to find for your vehicle is the individual weight per front wheel. The spread sheet then will kick out the exact value of spring rate need for your vehicle. MountaineerGreen this would help you greatly since you have a V8 which may have a drastically different spring rate. The reason I say this is because the 850 is just perfect for my vehicle, a V6. What happens when you up it on a V8???

I have many sections to this write-up. First a coil-over 101 thread, second a coil-over calculator and research page, then a step buy step write-up of my particular conversion. Obviously, I will include everything I had to do including what did and did not work. I will also include recommendations per my findings. I know its taking a long time, but its getting closer and closer every day. If any of you have question please let me know.

CMAX

For an aussie, you do need the BWM, even the aussie reps on the phone say so.

My X is not AWD. The BWM is for a AWD correct? I just am wondering how it rides on the road just in 2wd. Then how much does it effect steering during 4x4 operation?

CMAX

I am not going to give a exact date since I can not commit to it. I had lost my data on my comupter a few times, etc. The last thing you all want is me to give all you excuse after excuse. So this is where I am at.......

I just finished this past weekend putting in the 12" 850lb springs. My assumptions were correct on needing spacers. The upper control arm gets in the way of preloading the springs. My design is almost finished on the spacers and I just recieved the aluminum stock from mcmaster carr. I wish to have this done in the next couple weeks and the writeup done soon after. The biggest thing I am trying to do is determine the actual engineering data. Meaning a spread sheet that calculates the exact spring rate for your vehicle. The only input or value you will need to find for your vehicle is the individual weight per front wheel. The spread sheet then will kick out the exact value of spring rate need for your vehicle. MountaineerGreen this would help you greatly since you have a V8 which may have a drastically different spring rate. The reason I say this is because the 850 is just perfect for my vehicle, a V6. What happens when you up it on a V8???

I have many sections to this write-up. First a coil-over 101 thread, second a coil-over calculator and research page, then a step buy step write-up of my particular conversion. Obviously, I will include everything I had to do including what did and did not work. I will also include recommendations per my findings. I know its taking a long time, but its getting closer and closer every day. If any of you have question please let me know.

CMAX

Well explained :thumbsup: I really appreciate your technical approach to this, I'd like to see your spring calculator especially. I can/plan to get individual front weights soon, we have some nice 4'x4' scales at work, I'll line two side by side and pull up on them. I do know it weighs 2660 total, I'm sure the drivers side is heavier though.

Do you think the resi coilovers are worth the extra coin, or with the epsilon be OK?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well explained :thumbsup: I really appreciate your technical approach to this, I'd like to see your spring calculator especially. I can/plan to get individual front weights soon, we have some nice 4'x4' scales at work, I'll line two side by side and pull up on them. I do know it weighs 2660 total, I'm sure the drivers side is heavier though.

Do you think the resi coilovers are worth the extra coin, or with the epsilon be OK?

Can you provide some webpages about the resi and epsilon??? I am just a little confused or do not know where to look. I even tried google, I must just be tired tonight. Anyways, just get me that info and I will give you my recommendations.

CMAX

Back