re-finished the trim in my 03 ST (PICS) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

re-finished the trim in my 03 ST (PICS)

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
HEY ALL, the rubber coating on the trim in my ST's dash was starting to peel a bit near the AC controls, so i took the piece off and re-did it using some tips i got from briandye in another post. it worked out pretty good. i repainted it white since the color of mt ST is white. it gives it a really nice feel coming in and out of the car but isnt too loud. i pulled off the old rubber coating, wetsanded it, painted it, (i used krylon fusion spraypaint for plastic), wetsanded it again, painted it, wetsanded it, and then threw a thin clear coat on it. im sure a lot of you have already done this many times before, but i thought id share some of my results, the info on this forum is awesome. im planning on painting the cladding and bumpers next. pics below.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

turned out nice! i like it

Great job!!! I really need to repaint mine.

thanks, it's pretty easy to do, and the trim piece on the radio is actually pretty easy to take off (two screws). now i just need to replace that stock deck with my alpine. just being lazy about getting the slot and harness.

Looks great! The white is a nice touch :thumbsup:

I think you were in the thread that I started about this. I've had the hardest time finding the paint that I want. I've literally looked at every Autozone, O'reilly, Home Depot, Wal Mart and Lowe's from my town to the next 2 cities over and no one carries the color I want (Flat black Krylon Fusion) everyone has gloss and satin color.....so I've ordered it online and put this project on hold.

that sucks, where i live in cali, they have every color under the sun in flat. well, post some pics when you get it done. im still deciding whether i want to do the same to the trim around my instrument cluster, or whether that might be too much.

Back