• Register Today It's free!

Re-Gear Lately?

JThelen

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
lets say i bought some new gears and i wanted to do the install myself can i just pop off the housing cover and install it or do i have to remover my axle and all that BS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it yourself. :D

I agree....go get some help from a professional.

Definately get some help at least, or just make it easy on yourself and pay the $125 and have someone else do it. That way if the gears go south you have someone else to blame and fix it.

^^what they said

125 thats a pretty cheap price its 200-350 around here

Wow I would always pay someone 125 to do it rather than do it myself. I hate re gearing. And I am doing it again soon. Seeing as how its like 300 + around here I will once again take care of it.

You can find some good write ups on setting it up if you google it. There is some work to it and lots of mesurements. If you dont have a press and have never done it just pay someone

I ended up paying about $150 with some bolts and a gasket for some clown down here to install 4.88s in my Dana 44. When I originally called he said $125.00

Im going to do a write-up as soon as i get my new gears/carrier. I have all the tools except the press (got one at school). If anyone has any particular questions you can IM me. PLEASE dont IM me if you have to ask me to explain how to do it.

A write up would be great. Glad to see someone doing it. A good guide will help a lot of people out on here.

TheRookie said:
A write up would be great. Glad to see someone doing it. A good guide will help a lot of people out on here.

Only thing is the cost for the tools if you dont have them avail:

What you NEED:
-.001 dial indicator w/ magnetic base
-good shop press (if you want ABS)
-inch lb readable torque wrench
-ft lb readable torque wrench

What is SUPER HELPFUL:
-Impact for the pinion nut and setting the preload

You need the press weather or not you want abs. I dont recall the torque settings but dont recall needing an inch pound torque wrench, could be wrong there as my digital reads both

you can use the inch lb torque wrench to set preload on the pinion

Back