• Register Today It's free!

reading engine codes for MAP

kenv267

Reaction score
City, State
pensacola, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 4 door xlt, 4.0 OHV
Hello! My first post. I have a 99 Explorer, XLT, with 4.0 OHV engine. I only has 78K miles and is in excellent condition. I have recenlty replaced upper and lower suspension and replaced battery 2 years ago.
My check engine light has come on twice recently.
1. First code was PO 174- sudden acceleration/decellaration, re-set system.
2. After a week or two, got check engine light again, this time codes were PO 174 and also PO 171, system running lean. Discussed with auto hobby center at my base and they stated may need to clean the Oxygen sensors.
Codes also stated PO 174 B2- too lean
and P) 171, B1- too lean.
I have one in each exhaust manifold and probably another in Cat converter. I was advised to clean with carb cleaner. How hard is it to get these out and what should I clean them with?

Ken:usa:
Pensacola, Florida ( temp is currently 21 degrees- cold for us!!):exp:

I don't recommend cleanings O2 sensors; if you go to the "trouble" of removing, just replace with a new one.

However, I seriously doubt that your problem is O2 sensor(s); look upstream.

Good luck ....

agree with aldive.. the O2 sensors get blamed alot for problems ahead of them in the engine. the O2 sensors detect that your motor is running lean, a problem ahead of them, not a problem with the sensors. try to focus on reasons why your truck would run lean, such as vacuum leaks, not enough fuel getting to the rails, etc..

Back