Ready to try Forscan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ready to try Forscan

Inane222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU Eco
Good morning guys,

Just about reached the end of the internet checking out Forscan. I have plenty of Apple devices but it looks like a PC is the way to go to get the most out of the software.

My laptop is a few years old and does not have bluetooth. I first thought about getting the USB scanner:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-425...e=UTF8&qid=1481040133&sr=8-5&keywords=forscan

But what about buying an inexpensive USB powered buetooth adapter and then getting the MX scanner?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=psdc_3015437011_t1_B007Q45EF4

and

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426...e=UTF8&qid=1481040210&sr=8-2&keywords=forscan

Thinking forward, I'm sure any new laptop I buy will likely have bluetooth.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better off with the OBDlink MX device. The company I work for sells these units with our logo and they are great. I have a few of them kicking around and they work perfectly with Forscan.

Can do what I did an upgrade your internal wifi card with something like an intel 7260 card with 802.11ac and bluetooth. Was like 20 bucks and now I get 866 mbps network connection to my router.

What laptop model do you have?

+1 for an obdlink MX, connection is fast and reliable (never disconnected during any of my use).

I just downloaded that program, I have a 13 year old lap top I use for tuning or as a wheel chock and I installed a 10$ USB bluetooth to pair to the OBDMX since it works at all BUS speeds automatically, I couldn't find a suitable wired version that was reliable without the switch. So far everything works great once you take Forscan out of demo mode and have everything paired, that would be the toughest part.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I went ahead and ordered the two products I mentioned from Amazon.

Sheltonfilms, great idea on changing out the wifi card, I overlooked that. I have a HP Pavillion G7-1318DX with Windows 7.

Reserved50, I too have a 13 year old laptop I still use. It's a Compaq Presario X1000 from 03', still running strong with Windows XP!

Forgot to ask, are you guys running with the extended license on Forscan?

Just a few thoughts based on my personal experience.

1. get the obdlink MX BLUETOOTH. The wifi version was known to have a history of connection issues.

2. The cheap $10-$20 readers will work for reading the High Speed data, but can/will cause issues with the Medium Speed data. I don't think the issues would be permanent, but I wouldn't count on getting data from modules on the Medium Speed Network unless you get a quality reader.

I used it with a PC, had no issues. I'll post the configuration screen later today when I have access to that laptop later today.

I don't think there is a Mac version of FORScan though. I know you can read the codes on an iPhone so there must be some other software to read the codes, however I think you won't be able to write any changes to the car.

so similar issue I have a 2016 and I'm about to replace the battery and want to read some of the battery parameters that are in the newer models.

will ForScan do this or will I need a different tool I plan on buying the OBDMX BT tool or the wifi if I should use that instead.

The final connection settings I used if you get the wired w/switch ELM cable I linked to above. The setting below worked for me on a PC and allowed me to write changes successfully to my Explorer.
2016-12-09 10_34_59-FORScan.png

Back