Real Quick 4.0 OHV Ignition Coil Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Real Quick 4.0 OHV Ignition Coil Question

DasBaldDog

Reaction score
City, State
Greensburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4.0
I am trying to remove the ignition coil bracket from my 1994 4.0 OHV and successfully removed the top bolts/nuts but the bottom bolt is apparently a size socket that I do not have in my tool collection.

I think it may be a 16mm as a 15mm socket is too small to fit on the bolt, and a 17mm is too large.

However, before I run out and buy said socket, I was wondering if anyone could give a verified response, ie does anyone know for SURE what size it is?

Oh yes, and I tried a 5/8's SAE socket that is just barely too small, and as 5/8's is about 15.8 mm, I think I am rather on the right track.

Thanks in advance guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try 11/16ths, or 21/32nds? Nothing on that truck SHOULD be metric. Doesn't mean that it wasn't changed over the years, or that rust hasn't slightly changed the size, but nothing was meant to be metric from the factory.

Everything so far has been Metric. Seriously, I don't think I have encountered a single non-metric bolt. I think a vast majority is all OEM stuff. The truck was made by Mazda.

Did you try 11/16ths, or 21/32nds? Nothing on that truck SHOULD be metric. Doesn't mean that it wasn't changed over the years, or that rust hasn't slightly changed the size, but nothing was meant to be metric from the factory.

There are quite a few nuts and bolts on an explorer that are metric from the factory, but in this case, they should be 5/8 or 11/16 IIRC. I am almost certain those ones are standard like you said.

Everything so far has been Metric. Seriously, I don't think I have encountered a single non-metric bolt. I think a vast majority is all OEM stuff. The truck was made by Mazda.

Early 90s vehicles are always a bizarre, nonsensical mix of standard and metric. Try another 5/8ths.

Well,

I tried 3 different 5/8's from 2 different manufacturers, no dice.

Picked up a 16mm from Autozone... also no dice.

I checked my 17mm again, and its definately too big. I can wiggle it side to side quite a bit.

11/16's is larger than 17 if my math is right.

Do not remember the size I used but I know it did not fit real well because of rust. Speaking of rust make sure you soak that bolt really good as it is one PIA to break lose.

By the way I always thought the trucks were made by ford and badged Mazda. I believe the door sticker should also say made by Ford for Mazda. One time I showed a friend that sticker on his Mazda truck. Boy he got mad. See he hated Fords so the big joke was on him because he did nothing but brag about his Mazda and bashed Fords. That was tell he found out he owned, drove, and loved a Ford him self LMAO.

Do not remember the size I used but I know it did not fit real well because of rust. Speaking of rust make sure you soak that bolt really good as it is one PIA to break lose.

By the way I always thought the trucks were made by ford and badged Mazda. I believe the door sticker should also say made by Ford for Mazda. One time I showed a friend that sticker on his Mazda truck. Boy he got mad. See he hated Fords so the big joke was on him because he did nothing but brag about his Mazda and bashed Fords. That was tell he found out he owned, drove, and loved a Ford him self LMAO.

93-97 mazda B series was a rebadged ranger, navajo is a rebadged explorer sport.... One of the few platforms that went from Ford to Mazda, instead of Mazda to Ford.... Cologne V6 is a VERY Ford engine, A4LD is a more modern Ford C3 with an overdrive. the M5OD is a mazda tranny though It was just with small cars where we were rebadging Mazdas as Fords.

Just about everything on the Explorer is metric with a few exceptions or odd sizes. It has nothing to do with being Ford/Mazda anymore, it was a while ago when "domestic" vehicles used SAE fastener sizes almost exclusively.

Are you using 6 point or 12 point sockets? It's likely a 16mm that has stuff on it. You can probably safely loosen it with a 17mm 6 point if it has some play, but not too much. A 12 point that's too big will just round the corners, usually.

lol.. thats why i love this site.. came here to find out the size of this bolt and didnt get an answer, but verified i wasnt crazy....

just use lots of PB and an 11/16. moving the alternator and radiator hose (i am removing the valve covers etc) gave me more room to push. try moving the bracket back and forth to help you break any crud and seal you can. spray again after you move the bracket. grab a beer, drink. try again.
i used a long extension and a wobble extension. i honestly was amazed when it budged.

Back