• Register Today It's free!

Real Trucks Rattle... Loud in cab

TsherryUSA

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4WD 5spd
So I know "real trucks rattle" and it's a 20+ year old truck...but It's very loud in the cab on the highway. Any suggestions to quiet it down? Insulation? new door/window trim? New speakers to help the stereo overcome the noise?

Cheers and thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I know "real trucks rattle" and it's a 20+ year old truck...but It's very loud in the cab on the highway. Any suggestions to quiet it down? Insulation? new door/window trim? New speakers to help the stereo overcome the noise?

Cheers and thanks!
for me i used that kilmat stuff all over my interior, makes it nice and quieter now! still not as quiet as new cars but i put it everywhere, keeps rattles down from my bassy speakers, cause before the doors liked to rattle a bit but now its less. that being said new speakers, never a bad thing, crank it up!!!
imo the stock doors have no insulation except the plastic door card, nothin else except that metal, so it lets lots of noise thru
1B9FB4E6-7013-4E8E-98DA-DBE5B21AE0E6.jpeg
E8711750-97FC-4326-A61A-B798F2026B52.jpeg

Check your door strikers for the bushings. Many on here have made bushings from PEX, but I believe the original stuff is still floating around.

A decent sound deadener would go a long ways in an Explorer, as shown above. You can get a cheap Amazon foam version, which isn’t half bad. Even doing the doors and hatch would have a noticeable improvement.

And, I’m always on board with any kind of audio upgrades.

I also installed Kilmat. Entire floor, firewall and rear quarters. Made a huge difference. Also cooled down the interior. Rattles are usually caused by failing rubber bushings and door seals. Or, if it's like mine, lots of off road use and a right side flop.

I also installed Kilmat. Entire floor, firewall and rear quarters. Made a huge difference. Also cooled down the interior. Rattles are usually caused by failing rubber bushings and door seals. Or, if it's like mine, lots of off road use and a right side flop.
how is your cage designed? i looked into it for a bit but then realized i couldnt drop the headliner that way, and i dropped mine to do the sound deadening 😂 ultimately decided it wasnt worth it at the time for me but just curious if yours has enough room to at least drop it wnough to install deadening. just curious thanks!
Check your door strikers for the bushings. Many on here have made bushings from PEX, but I believe the original stuff is still floating around.

A decent sound deadener would go a long ways in an Explorer, as shown above. You can get a cheap Amazon foam version, which isn’t half bad. Even doing the doors and hatch would have a noticeable improvement.

And, I’m always on board with any kind of audio upgrades.
yeah it keeps noise rattles everything doen 👍 just cant seem to stop the locks from vibrating though drives me nuts when i crank something like FGL with a bit more bass than john deere green 😂 probably no solution to it but just thought id throw it out!

how is your cage designed? i looked into it for a bit but then realized i couldnt drop the headliner that way, and i dropped mine to do the sound deadening 😂 ultimately decided it wasnt worth it at the time for me but just curious if yours has enough room to at least drop it wnough to install deadening. just curious thanks!

yeah it keeps noise rattles everything doen 👍 just cant seem to stop the locks from vibrating though drives me nuts when i crank something like FGL with a bit more bass than john deere green 😂 probably no solution to it but just thought id throw it out!
I'm used to the rattles as I drive or gravel and dirt roads often and I go pretty quick on them lol

I'm used to the rattles as I drive or gravel and dirt roads often and I go pretty quick on them lol
1656130475185.png
"just gonna send it" kidding!!!!!!! the rattles dont bother me offroad, but on road it bothers me when im tryna crank some music!

The cage doesn't allow headliner removal. I cut all the down tubes about 6" off the floor when I needed to recover the headliner.

Thanks for the advice ya'll. I'm gonna target adding sound deadening to the doors first. Doors do rattle a bit too, but I think it's mostly the plastic liner, can stop it by putting your arm on the door.

The noise is most bothersome on the highway. Have to really crank the stereo to listen to podcasts. Music is a bit better, because that's at least a consistent level.

Back