Really concerned. Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kayla2345

Reaction score
City, State
Streetsboro, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello, I recently got my upper ball joints replaced and after i turned a corner a very loud pop noise came from the front of my car. Now my wheel is a bit wobbly (Wasn't wobbly when the pop happened. Started the next day). I have a 2002 ford explorer. I recently got all new brakes, rotors and my left rear wheel bearing replaced and am getting my rear right replaced next week. I'm really concerned that it my ball joints or the guy that did them may not have done them right.

Also, I do not know much about what is going on (as far as what could be the problem), but what I have noticed is that my right side where my ball joint is located it is completely flat (a press is what i think it is called) and the other has a silver like screw or bolt deal sticking out of it. So I am unsure if that means he did not use the correct part on my drivers side.

I did not get an alignment after I had the ball joints replaced as well. Could that be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off have it inspected or call the guy that installed them ,just make sure it's safe before u drive it

Can you post a picture?

Picture(s) could definitely help. The screw/bolt could be something wrong (such as the joint failing catastrophically) or it could be a grease fitting.

I will go take pictures right now. It's dark out so hopefully they will be somewhat good.

Screw sounds like a grease fitting.

Screw sounds like a grease fitting.

I'm concerned that the ball joint popped out, which would be incredible. The OP noted a difference between the two uppers.

drivers side

For the record, a lack of alignment would not cause "wobble" unless there was some other additional cause. At worst, you'd get some really uneven tire wear and/or your handling might suffer slightly -- nothing which would be catastrophic under normal driving conditions within a very short time frame.

Can't see the photos. If you have an online image hosting account like Image Shack, you can post a link to the photo.

drivers side

xqQUuW.jpg

Hopefully this worked this time.

S36LC3.jpg

Higher angle of the drivers side

KrRoAq.jpg

passenger side.

Thats a zirc fitting (grease fitting) on the drivers side. No problem there.

The passenger side doesn't have a grease fitting.

Could I trouble you for a picture of the whole control arm on both sides of the car? I want to make sure your BJs haven't popped. Try to get both BJs, upper and lower on both sides.

BTW, when you said you have a wobble, is it a tire or the steering wheel?

So could there be a bigger issue that just so happened to pop up after my ball joints were fix?

and this is where my ignorance comes in...what is the control arm?

Its the wheels. My steering wheel feels fine it just feels like I'm just swaying side to side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So could there be a bigger issue that just so happened to pop up after my ball joints were fix?

Hard to say if its a bigger issue. Where did you have the work done? At a dealer?

I would ask the shop why one BJ has a grease fitting and the other one doesn't, but thats not your noise.

Back