Really dumb ebrake question... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Really dumb ebrake question...

Hi. My explorer is a 1997. But here's my thoughts. If the ebrake automatically engages in park then it should disengage when put in drive or reverse. You might want to look at the owners book if it came with one or talk to who you bought it from and get more indepth info from them. Im sorry I wasent more help. Hope everything works out for you
Thanks. I’m guessing the seatbelt and door open played into it. I get that in theory those are dangerous conditions, but not too terribly unusual for minor adjustments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the Owner's Manual;
"Automatically Releasing the Electric Parking Brake
Close the driver door.
Shift into gear.
Press the accelerator pedal and pull away
in a normal manner.
The red warning lamp turns off."

Lots of good info in there. ;)

Peter

Will it go to park when for whatever the reason you have to unbuckle your seatbelt while moving forward on the road? I hope not...

Apart from the seatbelt being unbuckled, the door also needs to be open for it put the transmission in Park.

Good idea, thanks. I’m usually not worried about getting that close but last night was an exception.

So for sake of my OCD/paranoia, is the consensus still there’s nothing to worry about from reversing a few feet with ebrake on (both for the brake and transmission)? Just not sure how tight that think clamps down vs old school parking brakes.
Have no worry, put the ST in R and back up towards that wall. Don't even look that vehicle will stop trust me, it will stop and stop hard like you went into the wall and you will look at the camera telling your wife you hit nothing (while she swears you did). It will sense plants and all just trust me on this one.... well until you get the "backup sensing not available" warning then don't trust the vehicle.

Have no worry, put the ST in R and back up towards that wall. Don't even look that vehicle will stop trust me, it will stop and stop hard like you went into the wall and you will look at the camera telling your wife you hit nothing (while she swears you did). It will sense plants and all just trust me on this one.... well until you get the "backup sensing not available" warning then don't trust the vehicle.
Haha, that sounds like personal experience!

I was more concerned about wear/damage to the brakes and/or transmission from accidentally reversing with ebrake the other night (T part just because of power I needed to overcome the brake). Definitely not something I intend to do again.

This is simply Fords way of protecting itself from losing a long term customer. ;) If you were to open the door, lean to far and fall under the Explorer ......... :dead:

🤣

This is simply Fords way of protecting itself from losing a long term customer. ;) If you were to open the door, lean to far and fall under the Explorer ......... :dead:

🤣

Ha ha, that was funny. Good one.

It’s actually not unheard of. Took a call from a lady waiting to turn into a parking lot when the guy in front of her dropped his keycard out the window of his car. He pulled forward a foot or so, then opened his driver’s door and leaned out to retrieve the card. Unfortunately, when he leaned out, his foot pressed the accelerator and the car jumped forward, causing the driver door to strike a pole and slam back onto him. He didn’t survive.

It’s actually not unheard of. Took a call from a lady waiting to turn into a parking lot when the guy in front of her dropped his keycard out the window of his car. He pulled forward a foot or so, then opened his driver’s door and leaned out to retrieve the card. Unfortunately, when he leaned out, his foot pressed the accelerator and the car jumped forward, causing the driver door to strike a pole and slam back onto him. He didn’t survive.

Wow, really, that is so sad.

Kinda wish they had these sensors on the vehicles when I was little... A guy was pulling out of his driveway fast in a ranger didn't see each other he nailed me in the back of the head with the corner of the tailgate and drove off... He had no idea like 100 stitches and staples. Even as an adult I got bumped by a lady backing out lol so glad for technology.

Back