Really, It's worth that much $$ ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Really, It's worth that much $$ ??

hertfordnc

Reaction score
City, State
Hertford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
So I have this XLT that i inhertied from my wife and i am doing some work on, (timing chain guides).

I was planning to keep it for myself but then i looked up NADA value. It's worth more than when we bought it four years ago? Gas prices Down? Economy doing better?

It's a 2004 XLT with every option and they all work, rear AC, sunroof, rear seat, leather, etc. NADA says high retail is $5800

I would be happy to get half that. So i'm asking, are people really paying that much for 15 year old Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even my 1998 XLT is saying $3963 high retail. I wouldnt hold your breath on actually getting that tho. Ive had it for sale for $1500 for about 4 months and not had a single person come look at it and thats giving it away with the mods on it so decided to just keep it.

Not sure what NADA's been smoking lately or maybe the dollar really has bottomed out.

You’ll never get 5,800 for it, unless it’s beautiful, has no mileage and someone still gives you a lot for it. If you wreck it you’ll likely do much better than the market would give you.

With new guides 2,800 is likely.

I've seen local used lots moving explorers that were advertised at about the 36-4800 range.

Whether they are getting those prices for them I can't say.

This was a good exercise. This car has been parked for a year waiting for me to get the time to deal with the timing chain.
On closer examination, it turns i was 45,000 miles off on the mileage- it's 185K.

But i also learned i have the 3.73 limited slip rear diff. So i think i'll keep it and go shred some trail.

I didn’t think the 3rd gens came with D4s. Interesting. Before shredding anything you’ll need some off-road tires ;)

It’s a $2k car at that mileage. Biggest problem, depending on where you are I suppose, is that there’s a ton of these for sale.

180k and needs chains. If the trans goes, which it will if it’s OE, that’s $2,500.

Yup. It's only worth it to me. I'm doing chains now. Waterpump, alt, tires, front pads, starter are all new in the last 2 years. The engine has 50,000 fewer miles than the rest of it.

It has fairly new stock size all-terrains. It's incredible in the sand (we live near the outerbanks) and it tows as well as my Expedition. But with the miles I mat as well keep it.

I didn’t think the 3rd gens came with D4s. Interesting. Before shredding anything you’ll need some off-road tires ;)
I wish mine had D4 axles. 46 is what I have IIRC, 3.73 open. I don't trust it off-road, it seems totally dependent on electronics for traction. My '97 with TractionLoc is a tank though.

I wish mine had D4 axles. 46 is what I have IIRC, 3.73 open. I don't trust it off-road, it seems totally dependent on electronics for traction. My '97 with TractionLoc is a tank though.

One thing I actually LOVE about my Explorer is No Traction Control or Stabilitrak. Just ABS. With the D4 rear, 4WD + 2WD Brown Wire Mod, and Firestone A/T Tires (245-75-R16), this car is a BLAST in the snow. I am amazed at how well it does in 2WD and even the 4WD auto ain't too bad either. Every time I get stuck with 2WD and as soon I hit 4 Full it just crawls out. I can feel the Limited slip kicking in every time I break the rear loose. Shudders the whole car. Kinda weird... Don't know if I prefer the mechanical limited slip or auto locking rear end on our suburban... Pros and Cons to both. But the Explorer has truly impressed me. Don't know why jeeps are the king of off road being unibody..

But for the value part. I'm driving mine till the wheels fly off. I treat the underside with used oil each year and its holding up well. Just ticked the 100K mark. Running synthetic, shift kit in the trans, external trans cooler, and just general TLC. (It just requires a lot of gas! Huge shame that it's the shame MPG as a suburban...)

One thing I actually LOVE about my Explorer is No Traction Control or Stabilitrak. Just ABS. With the D4 rear, 4WD + 2WD Brown Wire Mod, and Firestone A/T Tires (245-75-R16), this car is a BLAST in the snow. I am amazed at how well it does in 2WD and even the 4WD auto ain't too bad either. Every time I get stuck with 2WD and as soon I hit 4 Full it just crawls out. I can feel the Limited slip kicking in every time I break the rear loose. Shudders the whole car. Kinda weird... Don't know if I prefer the mechanical limited slip or auto locking rear end on our suburban... Pros and Cons to both. But the Explorer has truly impressed me. Don't know why jeeps are the king of off road being unibody..

But for the value part. I'm driving mine till the wheels fly off. I treat the underside with used oil each year and its holding up well. Just ticked the 100K mark. Running synthetic, shift kit in the trans, external trans cooler, and just general TLC. (It just requires a lot of gas! Huge shame that it's the shame MPG as a suburban...)
Real Heeps have frames, only the Cherokee doesn’t.

Back