Really odd, signal right, wipers come on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Really odd, signal right, wipers come on

Snowboi

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLS
Ok, just started having this "problem", its kinda random. I would put my turn signal on to go left, start to turn, and then the wipers turn on, sometimes they would keep going, sometimes that would stop, then go again, but once the wheel is straight and the turn signal isnt on, it would stop. I'm 100% sure its not me just hitting the wipers (push in), its completely random and annoying.

I'm hopeing its something small, not where I have to take apart the column to fix.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the muti-functional switch?

Its most likely your MFS (As stated above; Multifunction Switch)

(The stalk that controls your blinkers, wipers, brights, etc)

They seem to go bad alot on the 2nd gens. For instance, my 95's squirters would not work, unless I had the wipers on one of the delayed settings.

Some members get away with just taking it off, and cleaning the terminals/connections, while others just replace it. It seems pretty straightforward with some basic tools.

No prob:thumbsup:

Also if your looking to replace it the dealers charge around 350 bucks for one up here, you can buy them at autozone for a little ove 100 i beleive.

Be careful when you buy, especially if used- they look the same from '95+ but they are not the same as far as wiring/terminals. Cross ref the part number on your MFS if replacing it.

You can buy them for $50 at Rock Auto.

Also if your looking to replace it the dealers charge around 350 bucks for one up here, you can buy them at autozone for a little ove 100 i beleive.
It's $55.99 @ Autozone.
As others have said, it's very common on 2nd gen. Explorers. Eventually you'll start seeing little wisps of smoke coming from the steering column.

Wow, thats alot for something you can try to fix it yourself. It wasnt hard at all to open it up and clean it. Was a tad bit tricky to get all the parts back where they went, and the grease/lube didnt help either (it started to feel like old soda spilled instead of lube), I didnt clean off the old grease/lube though. Cleaned the connections with 1500 wet/dry sand paper (sanding while it was dry), then sprayed the connections with some CRC electrical parts cleaner, then put it all back. So far, it seems like it hasnt turned the wipers on while right signal is on, but it was random before, so it may or may not do it again (I doubt it will though).

Honestly, I wouldnt know why some people would buy them new, when it takes like 5-15 minutes to take the dash apart, take the part out, clean it, put it back in, and then put the dash back together. Infact, how would these things fail (other than getting dirty connections), everything seems straight foward, part moves, then it gets pwer from the connections. I understand that if the stalk broke, somebody would buy a brand new one, but somebody could also buy a used one for the right year, and then just replace the stalk with the old one.

Again, thanks for everybodies help.

Wow, thats alot for something you can try to fix it yourself. It wasnt hard at all to open it up and clean it. Was a tad bit tricky to get all the parts back where they went, and the grease/lube didnt help either (it started to feel like old soda spilled instead of lube), I didnt clean off the old grease/lube though. Cleaned the connections with 1500 wet/dry sand paper (sanding while it was dry), then sprayed the connections with some CRC electrical parts cleaner, then put it all back. So far, it seems like it hasnt turned the wipers on while right signal is on, but it was random before, so it may or may not do it again (I doubt it will though).

Honestly, I wouldnt know why some people would buy them new, when it takes like 5-15 minutes to take the dash apart, take the part out, clean it, put it back in, and then put the dash back together. Infact, how would these things fail (other than getting dirty connections), everything seems straight foward, part moves, then it gets pwer from the connections. I understand that if the stalk broke, somebody would buy a brand new one, but somebody could also buy a used one for the right year, and then just replace the stalk with the old one.

+1, I took if off and cleaned it and put it back on last fall. SO far so good. Be careful when taking it out. There are two connectors you need to pull out from it. The clip is very easy to break. I broken the smaller one. And I used duct tape when I put it back. Hopefully it gives me abother 5 years.

...snip
Infact, how would these things fail (other than getting dirty connections), everything seems straight foward, part moves, then it gets pwer from the connections. I understand that if the stalk broke, somebody would buy a brand new one, but somebody could also buy a used one for the right year, and then just replace the stalk with the old one.

I replaced mine with a new one(OE Pro SM486) in Feb, and about a week ago it started clicking when turning the wheel. You could also see the stalk move like it was trying to return to neutral.

Turns out there's a small pin holds in the return to neutral part that contacts the cams on the steering column, pin had ejected to somewhere. The spring and small black plastic part was still there (that contacts the cams).
I turned down a finishing nail and cut to the correct length, then pressed it into the hole in the black plastic part. It's solidly retained and slides freely in the switch slot. Works just fine, probably better than original.

Back