really simple cold air mod... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

really simple cold air mod...

Hi guys and gals, first off, my 99 x sport is not twin turboed as my name might suggest. Actually, I dont really have alot of mods done. But anyhow, I was playing around with my airbox today, and discovered that the induction hole sucks air from behind the passenger side headlight. I removed the airbox, and drilled 2 1.5 inch holes immediately to the right of the stock intake vent, and routed 1.5 inch diameter piping that I salvaged from an old shop vacuum (the tubing was new, vacuum was dead)(the sort of piping that is ribbed), from the 2 holes in the airbox, through the hole in the body behind the passenger side headlight, down to the front air dam, where I zip tied them so that the hose openings were facing forward. I had to remove a plastic panel between the headlight and the airbox to make enough room to route the pipe through, but in short I am very happy with the mod. Sounds almost the same at low RPM, Accelerates a bit quicker, but where i really notice it is in passing. At high speed, when you floor it, the extra intakes "Kick in" and produce a huge whine. Really like ram air at speeds. I am so happy with it that I am planning on removing my factory fog lights, and plumbing some 3 inch pipes to either side. Oh and also, I noticed that my RPMs are slightly lower than they typically were for regular highway driving. I can post some pics if anyone is interested. Oh and also, draws alot of cold air away from the engine. I am thinking of having a double walled aluminum tube constructed for the main part of the intake, and running the air conditioning condenser to it to lower temps. Much like SVT lightning concept. ciao all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be very interested in some photographs. Sounds like a great mod.

yeah, and it was practically free.

just FYI to all, my truck was purchased second hand and already had a K&N air filter. That in itself really frees up power, but you really have to keep em clean, my element gets clogged up pretty quick, especially if it is super dry outside, and dusty.

I know what you mean.

section525 and I were talking about it, and he sent me a pic of his old filter. He rigged up a open element type of filter to fit on the stock tube. He didn't take very good care of it. I think this mod would be good for him. :)
It looks like he wrapped it in mud...

AirFilter.jpg

hahaha thats pretty funny. seeing how I am still a wanabe, how do I go about posting photos of my mod?

ok cool, just uploading pics right now.

the only thing that really sucks about the mod is that the passenger side bulb is already hard enough to get out, and the extra piping makes for more cramped quarters.

thanks- I will post my thoughts on this mod after i have really had a chance to give it a good go on the road for a while.

Alright! Explorer innovation alive and well in Calgary. :D

In reality it sounds like a good mod, But it will have zero effect on your IAT.
been there, done that.

Attachments

• MVC-035S.JPG
    MVC-035S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 748

spindlecone said:
In reality it sounds like a good mod, But it will have zero effect on your IAT.
been there, done that.
I would agree as the numerous test have indicate no real temp gains once the vehicle is moving.. But I wonder if this "Ram" air type mod would increase air flow and give a slight improvement by flowing more CFMs.. Obviously nothing huge, but rather a slight increase...

DeRocha said:
I would agree as the numerous test have indicate no real temp gains once the vehicle is moving.. But I wonder if this "Ram" air type mod would increase air flow and give a slight improvement by flowing more CFMs.. Obviously nothing huge, but rather a slight increase...
You need to be carefull with the Ram air thing on these engines.
Hit an open intake with your airhose, or even a fan such as used at a dyno shop, will kill the engine every time.

I would think these mods do nothing. By the time you get up to speed to where enough air is rammed into the tube and into your intake, there is already enough fresh air being blown thru the front of your truck onto the radiator/engine/ect

I would think the only real way to get cold air to ur intake is a "true cold air" system, maybe sticking the filter down by the fog light with a AEM water valve

Boo yeah Celly! Greetings from cowtown! As far as performance goes with this mod, the airbox can at least pull in more air. I dont know if anyone has had a look at the factory setup but the intake on the airbox looks fairly restrictive to me. I trippled the surface area of the intake's opening by simply adding 2 extra holes in the box. With the piping, I cant see how it couldn't help draw at least cooler air in; had I left them out, the new holes in my airbox would have just drawn extra air in from the engine bay, potentially heating things up. Sure lots of cool air is flowing over the radiator, and the AC condenser, and if people have one- the oil cooler too, but that is one of the problems. These things are simply heat exchangers, there purpose is to draw heat away, and fresh cool air is only going to warm up and thin out if it passes through these elements into the engine bay. in reality, I think the best air intake setup would be remote, drawing air in away from the engine. Perhaps a setup similar to the fellow on here with the turbo where the spare used to be (props to the ingenuity that went in to that build by the way), I beleive that guy has nailed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone said:
You need to be carefull with the Ram air thing on these engines.
Hit an open intake with your airhose, or even a fan such as used at a dyno shop, will kill the engine every time.

Can you elaborate- this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me- my intake cant really be open ever as there is a filter element in there, so I dont see what you mean by the hose hitting anything. And how would a dyno fan kill the engine??

Back