really torn on which all terrains to buy please vote | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

really torn on which all terrains to buy please vote

I can't decide what to buy will be a 265/75-16 on my all stock at the moment 05 x
Was looking at michelin ltx at2 (im have ltx on it now but the m/s)
Looked at Goodyear duratrac or a cooper discoverer or the ol bfg's
Really want a long life tire with some aggressive tread
Please let me know your opinions reviews .02 etc thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i vote the bfg at's, they seem to get the best road wear for the money, but still do well offroad

BFGs because that's all I've had but the Duratracs are impressive as well

I definitely agree the ltx are 240 ea while I can save over $75 a tire getting bfg's...
What kind of mileage total can I expect with bfg's I will be rotating etc just really NEED at least 40k+ from them

Do alot of freeway driving and some off-road. My last set just went 90k. I do keep it aligned and watch the ride hieght to correct any change but thats it. Nothing special. They also have superior puncture resistance off-road.

Do alot of freeway driving and some off-road. My last set just went 90k. I do keep it aligned and watch the ride hieght to correct any change but thats it. Nothing special. They also have superior puncture resistance off-road.

That'd be sweet sounds like a winner geez 90k

the michellins ive had and they are smooth on pavement, but not really agressive looking. bfg"s are what most guys on the forum who use at's go with. i reallly like the scorpion at's for all around driveability and agressive tread pattern. my buddy runs those and they are pretty sweet for at's. post pics of what you get!

Will do the only negative I've read about the duratrac is they are only a three ply tire and Quite a few people (especially off road) got punctures from bs
Everyone likes the bfg never really heard a complaint....
BTW I put two Goodyear assurance on my Taurus and one got a small bulge from day one shop said there's no warranty on them called Goodyear they only offer a 30 day warranty... Goodyear had to call tire shop and almost make them unmount and check the chords (it was only shop that would align Taurus everywhere else tells me its not alignable without a clamber kit or breaking welds and move susp...f that this guy had no issues aligning it...)
I had sumitumo on it before and after 2 years I got a huge bulge in a sumitumo.... Sears had no problem admitting it was a defect (inside rear tire...) And promptly gave me a new one bought two got two free... If a off brand like sumitumo WILL stand behind their tires for their usable life why the hell won't a reputable company like goodyear do the same.... It's crap if you ask me (why I don't like Goodyear)

I have been very pleased with my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials. 3 ply sidewalls, but after 12k miles I have no noticeable wear and they have been good both on the street and in the mud/snow. If you can find them for a good price I would recommend them.

EDIT: the 265/75/16 are load range E so that is a 12 ply tread from what I understand

I have been very pleased with my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials. 3 ply sidewalls, but after 12k miles I have no noticeable wear and they have been good both on the street and in the mud/snow. If you can find them for a good price I would recommend them.

EDIT: the 265/75/16 are load range E so that is a 10 ply tread from what I understand
yes most are thats the tricky part no x will ever need E range tires that bieng said a 10 ply is way heavy /heavier thus more rotating wieght and worse mileage+ less power.......
http://www.merchantstire.com/Tire-Results-By-Size/265/75/16
theres a few that are load range b
theyre definately harder to find but well worth it....
also a E load range i would have to run 70+ psi (tpms wont like it and i dont like it beeping four times every five minutes....)
the standard load rating per tire is around 1800 lbs E are almost 3500.... really not needed if can help

lol a bit overkill for sure. I run mine at 45psi and all is well. The only downside is they do give a bit rougher ride than a lower load range tire, nothing to worry about in my book though.
how are they wearing? my buddy did tires for years and was saying they may not wear correctly unless inflated to near max pressure not half like we run now... ronnin you dont have tpms in yours right? just wondering at what point itll start saying over inflated....

I do have TPMS installed in them yes. Not OEM, some aftermarket equivalent. If you want I can try airing them up to 60 or so to see if they go bananas or whatever.

So far no visible wear except for a few little pebbles that got stuck in the siping and left some tiny indentations when they came out of the little slits.

As far as I know there is no need to air them up to max unless you are dealing with a very heavy load, but I think I'll contact mickey thompson this week and see what they recommend.

Love the Duratracs. They have my vote. They're more of a mud/AT hybrid, but they're quiet.

Paraphoe, are you stationed at the base there or just live in town. I lived out there in Hatfield for a couple years back in the '80's when my dad was based there.

i have personally ran bfg all terrains and dura tracs.
The Dura tracs get my vote.
They go through the snow like crazy and are quite to.
Most people dont believe there an all terrain because they look quite beefy.
Plus there winter rated !
go with the tracs you wont be dissappointed

Just like specialized97 I have run both the BFG T/A K/O's and the GoodYear DuraTrac's and the DuraTrac's are far superior than the BFG's for every type of driving.

Paraphoe, are you stationed at the base there or just live in town. I lived out there in Hatfield for a couple years back in the '80's when my dad was based there.

Just live here man. Base is decomissioned and shutting down as we speak. :(

http://www.treadepot.com/tire/312018027.html
lol came from an ad on the top of the site best price ive seen for them and theyre a load range C i could have them at my door in a day for right around 800 and i have acess to a free tire guy and tire machiene/balancer (best friend) so thatll help costs
-EDIT tire rack would shave off about fourty bucks but EFFF'em i hate tire rack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back