Rear A/C: Rear Controls Do Not Respond | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear A/C: Rear Controls Do Not Respond

MunkeyTX

Reaction score
City, State
Deep South Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB 2WD 4.0
'04 Explorer, Eddie Bauer

Wife noticed today that when she selects "Rear" on the front roof mounted controls for the rear a/c, the rear vents blow hot air regardless of the temperature setting on the 2nd row rear a/c controls (did that make sense?).

When she controls the temperature from the font mounted control, all is well, but the 2nd row control is non-op. Fan still blows and 2nd row controls will control fan speed, just not temp.

Bad controls? I'm guessing there is only one actuator for the temp blend on the rear a/c, and if the front controls work, then the blend actuator is working fine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my experience, if the front control is on hot, no matter where the rear control is positioned at, you're going to get hot air out of the vents. It has been this way from day one with mine. Keep in mind that the front control switches override the rear controls. Put the front control on cold and you should be able to adjust the temp warmer with the rear control.

Hope this helps.

Actuator issue. There is another one for the rear temperature control. Do a search on here; there are a few really good thread about the repair for it.

Is she also getting the ticking/thumping that others have experienced with this? Many times the ticking/thumping is the stripped-out actuator trying to turn the blend door but it isn't happening because it is stripped so it just spins and makes the noise each time it tries to catch and work.

Is she also getting the ticking/thumping that others have experienced with this? Many times the ticking/thumping is the stripped-out actuator trying to turn the blend door but it isn't happening because it is stripped so it just spins and makes the noise each time it tries to catch and work.

Yep, later on in the day it began clicking. I had previously replaced the actuator (roughly a year ago), so I'm familar with the job...but I don't remember there being TWO actuators?! Holy cow, time to pull out the manual again.

Thanks guys!

Back