jahna

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
Hi Guys-

99 xlt, v6 soch, 230,000 miles

Last year during winter I had a local shop replaced my master brake cylinder. ABS light was still on but the pedal wasn't soft so I had 1 issue resolved. I learned about the rear ABS sensor from this site so I replaced that myself. Everything seemed to work fine until about a month ago. ABS light went back on. 2 weeks after that the red brake light also went on briefly when breaking. I found that my fluid was low. I just filled it up again for the second time yesterday. Loosing about 2-4 oz of fluid per tank of gas I would guess, but the pedal is still hard.

So now I believe that I have 2 problems again.

Problem 1- Leak
Problem 2- possible ABS sensor is bad?

Could the a slow leak (low braking pressure) cause the ABS light to go off? I tried filling up the reservoir and resetting the battery to see if the ABS light would clear. It did not.

What are the common places to check for a leak?

The vehicle brakes fine in summer time w/o ABS but I would like to get this fixed before winter. In snow the X bites hard to the left when the wheels lock up making highway driving dangerous w/o ABS.

Any insight/pointers would be appreciated.

Check ALL your steel lines; you should see a wet spot where it is leaking. Our vehicles are prone to this. Many here have replaced all their brake lines. The left rear is a common place but follow all along the frame rail on the driver's side. Do a forum search on this issue and you will find a lot of help.

thanks. Could the ABS light go off because of a leak?

Back